This week we have a gelatin that is decidedly NOT gross. Sea Breeze Salad!
This thing is basically jelled lemon pie filling with pineapple in it. Nothing bad here. Surprising, isn’t it? Well, we were invited to a picnic earlier last month where I knew there would be kids present and I didn’t want to completely gross the kids out. I was told to bring a salad, so I picked this.
- 3 packages lemon or lime Jell-O (or a combination of both) (*I used all lemon)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups cold liquid
- 1 cup drained crushed pineapple
- 1 can lemon pie filling or 1 large package lemon pudding/pie filling mix
- 1 envelope Dream Whip
- Dissolve Jell-O in boiling water. Add cold liquid (water and juice off pineapple). Let set until Jell-O begins to thicken.
- Stir lemon pie filling or prepared and cooled lemon pudding into thickened Jell-O with electric mixer. Reserve one cup of mixture. To the remainder at the crushed pineapple. Put into 13×9 pan and refrigerate till set.
- Whip Dream Whip as directed and fold in cup of reserved Jell-O mixture. Spread over first layer and refrigerate.
Tom peered over my shoulder as I was cooking. “So what’s going into this to ruin the lemon pie filling? Cheese? Tuna?”
“Well, pineapple is going in, but nothing gross.”
“Are you sure? Give me that recipe.”
“What the…this isn’t a salad! This is a dessert!”
I shook my head. “Nope. Read the name. It says Sea Breeze Salad.”
“That’s garbage. There is Dream Whip in this. It’s a dessert.”
“Look, the concept of a salad used to be different, okay? According to 1960’s thinking, this is a salad. See? Sea. Breeze. Salad. SALAD!”
“Fine, but if the kids go into sugar shock it is going to be your fault.”
“So, how is it?”
“Really good, but this is totally a dessert.”
The Verdict: It’s A Dessert
From The Tasting Notes:
Very good, if you like lemon pie. Especially good if you like lemon pie but not meringue. This basically tastes like a lemon pie with pineapple added to it, and a lemon-flavored whipped topping. The pineapple was actually a really good addition. We polished this thing off in a few days and probably gained five pounds in the process.