This is what happens when I let Buzz help pick the recipe.
“Oooh, make that one!”
“What, seriously? It’s just Grape-Nuts on broccoli.”
“YES! That one!”
So we’re having Broccoli with Crunchy Topping.
- 2 packages (10 oz. each) Birds Eye 5 Minute Broccoli Spears
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup Post Grape-Nuts Brand Cereal
- Prepare broccoli as directed on package; drain.
- Melt and brown butter in small skillet.
- Stir in cereal and sauté until browned.
- Pour over broccoli; serve at once. Makes 3 cups or 6 servings.
That’s right… broccoli, butter, and Grape-Nuts. SPECIAL.
On the plus side, how hard can it be to screw up?
I mean, steaming broccoli, that’s practically idiot-proof.
Oh, wait, the butter’s all foamy. Does this count as something going wrong?
“This looks great!” That sentence wasn’t even feigned enthusiasm to convince the kids to eat it — he meant every word.
“What’s wrong? It’s got butter, how bad could it be?”
“It doesn’t taste like anything. Just crunches.”
From his tasting notes:
Tasted like buttery Grape-Nuts on broccoli. Way, way too crunchy. It gets credit for having an absurdly accurate name, but there was no flavor — just texture. Disappointed.