Corned-Beef Pie – Vintage Pie July – Mid-Century Recipe Guest Test Sunday

Posted on Jul 13 2014 - 8:00am by Erica

Today we have another pie for Pie July!

serving-cornedbeefpie

I swear it’s pie. You can’t call something “corned-beef pie” and have it not be pie, right?

Corned-Beef Pie

Tender green Limas in a savory meat "crust." Add a salad, hot rolls, chilled fruit, and your dinner's planned.
  • 1 1-pound can corned-beef hash
  • ½ cup catsup
  • 1 slightly beaten egg
  • 1 12-ounce package frozen Lima beans
  1. Combine corned-beef hash, catsup, and egg. Press into bottom and sides of greased 8x1/2-inch round pan. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 30 minutes.
  2. Fill with Lima beans, cooked according to directions on package and seasoned to taste.
  3. Top with Cheese Sauce: Melt ¼ pound sharp process-American cheese over hot water. Gradually stir in 2 tablespoons milk.

recipe-cornedbeefpie

Savory pies are a thing! Sure, sweet pies are more fun, but savory pies exist.

ketchup

And meat crusts are also a thing, although much, much less common.

hashcrust

Of course, I don’t usually use canned hash to make the meat crust, nor a half cup of ketchup. But savory pies are totally a thing, this will work! Optimism!

cooking

Optimism waned somewhat when the crust didn’t change after baking. Well, no, it got warmer.

tasting-whaaaat

“I thought you said July was pie month.”

“It’s a pie. It just sort of fell apart when I was serving. The crust is, um… no, just taste it.” Not a good idea to tell Buzz when there’s a large dose of ketchup in his food.

tasting-meow

The kitten thought it was very tempting… not actually a great sign, come to think of it.

tasting-ugh

“Oh… wow. What the hell is in that crust?”

“Um, hash.”

“I meant all the ketchup!”

“And ketchup.”

Verdict: Ketchupy.

Tasting notes:

Tasted like a tomato crawled in there and died. Actually not quite as bad as expected, because the lima beans were yummy and cheese rarely disappoints. But the hash-ketchup crust was a crime against meat crusts.

Erica was inspired to learn to cook by a complete lack of home economics classes in high school, and a love of old books. When using antique cookbooks to teach herself some skills, she realized a lot of the recipes were pretty strange by modern standards. All that fun testing just begged to be shared with the world. Regular recipe testing can be found here on Mid-Century Menu, on Erica's Retro Recipe Attempts blog, and also I Ate The 80's.

1. Jean Salomone July 13, 2014 at 12:52 pm - Reply

Maybe less ketchup would have been more appealing? My family likes corned beef hash and when I saw the recipe, I was hoping it would be a winner.

2. JJ July 13, 2014 at 10:33 am - Reply

Ugh, I had a cat as a kid that wouldn’t even touch canned corned beef hash when I thought it was the most vile thing. I sat for two hours at the table because I could not eat it, until my dad tasted it and confirmed it was nasty and tried giving it to the cat.

• Erica July 13, 2014 at 8:58 pm - Reply

I think our cat isn’t old enough to know better yet :) Hash sure smells like cat food in the can, though!

3. Poppy July 13, 2014 at 11:06 am - Reply

The whole thing sounds pretty terrible! Most condiments (including ketchup) make me gag… Lima beans may not be so bad, but I’d think there would be a little more to the filling than seasoned beans topped with a bit of cheese sauce. Of course, if the recipe writer’s idea of a little more flavor is dumping in massive amounts of ketchup, maybe it’s a good thing the filling is so minimalist.

4. George July 13, 2014 at 11:31 am - Reply

I like hash, but Lima beans, NO! Lima beans would ruin anything.

5. Susan Henry July 13, 2014 at 3:46 pm - Reply

I liked this review -it was kind of a zipped up version of "eeewwwww….."

6. Amy Gagner July 13, 2014 at 11:18 pm - Reply

I bet a proper corned beef hash crust would make a bitchin' hangover breakfast quiche.

7. Brie Imlay July 14, 2014 at 7:55 pm - Reply

LOL I think this is the best reaction yet!

8. S. S. July 15, 2014 at 1:49 pm - Reply

Oh God… I recognize the cookbook…

9. Amorette July 15, 2014 at 1:50 pm - Reply

Not a fan of canned corn beef hash. NOT a fan of lima beans. Not a fan of ketchup. To me, this sounds disgusting.