Holy cow! If you LOVE a good soft, frosted sugar cookie like I do, you are going to be super-happy you found this recipe! I always love the frosted cookies on holiday cookie plates, so I wanted to find a really good one to include on mine that would be a bit different from your usual cut-out cookie. And I found it!
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind (or a little more if you prefer)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- For Frosting: 2 T softened butter
- 2 T Lemon juice
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- Yellow food coloring (if desired)
- Combine eggs, oil, vanilla and grated lemon rind. Blend in sugar and beat until mixture thickens.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together and add in 2 or 3 additions to the egg mixure. Dough will be soft.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls on ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Gently press each cookie flat with the sugared bottom of a glass. Press with sugared glass two or three times if you want a thicker sugar crust.
- Bake 8-10 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Remove from pan immediately and let cool before frosting.
- For Frosting: Mix together butter and powdered sugar until butter is incorporated. Add lemon juice and beat until proper consistency. If too thin, add more powdered sugar. If too thick, add extra lemon juice or milk. Add food coloring if desired.
This recipe is also from a vintage Mail Box News from 1972 ( I LOVE those things!) and the frosting recipe is from a separate entry in that same magazine. The ONLY thing I would do differently if I made these cookies is not to screw them up and add too much lemon juice to the frosting.
See? Just a touch too much. It was completely my fault. That is what I get when I try to improve old recipes. So, I would just stick with their 2 T recommendation rather than trying to double it like I did. I wanted extra lemon flavor, and boy, I got it!
Otherwise, the cookies were delicious.
The Verdict: Very Good
From The Tasting Notes:
Cookie itself has faint but noticeable lemon flavor. Good, soft texture for a sugar cookie. The frosting was strong, but otherwise yummy. If you follow the recipe I am sure it would be perfect!