10 Tips For The Perfect Retro Easter Lamb “Lambie” Cake

Posted on Mar 28 2012 - 6:17am by RetroRuth

It’s Lamb Cake time!!! For the last two weeks I have been baking lamb cake after lamb cake in my grandmother’s vintage lamb cake pan. Why? Well, after this story came out in the Wall Street Journal, a ton of wonderful people emailed and snail-mailed me vintage recipes and tips to help me on my quest to make the perfect lamb cake.  I have to admit I was very excited, so I decided to try out as many recipes and tips as I could.

And they worked!! Let me tell you, after one small mishap in the beginning, everything went smoothly, and not a single lamb lost his head!  So, since a lot of people have been emailing me and asking me for help, I thought I would share all the tips I tested with you guys so you can all have great lambs, too!

1. Grease the HECK out of your lamb pan.

I cannot stress how important this is.  Some of the vintage lamb pans, like mine, have so many tiny details in them that if you don’t get every single nook and cranny, you are going to end up with a disaster on your hands. Some people wrote to me and recommended Baker’s Joy or Pam in the spray can, but in the end I discovered that liberally applying shortening with a paper towel and carefully going over every bit was the best way to go. It may be time-consuming, but it gave me a good result every time.

2. Flouring your pan is MUST!

I have to admit, there have been many times when I have greased a cake pan and skipped the flour step, or used homemade pan-ease (which is just flour and shortening mixed) to get everything done in one step. This does not work with the lambs. You need both steps to ensure that the lamb pops out at depanning time.  And make sure to keep an eye out for “naked” spots after flouring and go back over those with more shortening. Skipping the flour can end in disaster, so to avoid tears and tears, flour is a must!

3. Fill your lamb on the “face” side of the mold.

Put your lamb face-down on a large cookie sheet or sheet pan. Fill the lamb to just under the rim of the mold with your chosen cake batter. Be sure to spread batter gently into the ear cavities to ensure that your lamb actually ends up with ears. If you don’t do this, there is no guarantee that the batter will fill the ears during cooking.

And lambs without ears look really, really weird. Trust me on this one.

4. Add support to your lamb cake before it is baked.

This is time to add your structural support to your lamb cake. One of the recipes that was photocopied from a major cookbook and sent to me stated, in a matter-of-fact way, that the head of your lamb cake was bound to roll off, and not to worry about it. It claimed you could just use toothpicks and frosting to glue it back together and everything would be great. Which is sort of a lie. Anyone who has ever made a lamb cake and had the head come off knows it is a delicate procedure to get it glued on. You need a whole lot of sticky frosting and a couple thousand toothpicks, and when you are done the lamb looks like it is wearing a neck brace. And even after a patch job you are nervous come serving time.

I am going to be the first to tell you that this does NOT have to be the case. Yeah, it is possible for the head of the cake to roll off, but the chances will be greatly reduced with a couple of quick toothpick placements. The lamb needs one toothpick in each ear and the thickest food grade bamboo skewer or pick you can find for the neck. The skewer should be placed about one inch in from the top of the head and extend into the body. I did this with every lamb cake recipe I tested, and I didn’t have a single head roll off. Poke these down slightly into the cake and make sure they are covered with batter.

5. Tie your lamb cake mold shut with baker’s twine.

I am kind of ashamed to admit that this bit of advice, which I received from multiple wonderful people, was a complete revelation to me. I had previously, if you can believe this, been baking my lambs in two separate pieces and trying to glue them together with frosting. Why? Well, because if you put the top on without any string, the cake doesn’t rise into the second half of the mold. It just all oozes out through the cracks and makes a complete mess. I have been told that the oldest lamb molds were heavy cast iron, and this didn’t used to be a problem. The lamb mold I have, and that I am sure many people use, is made from aluminum and isn’t heavy enough to stay closed on it’s own. But a couple of sturdy pieces of string, tied tightly, eliminates the leakage and lets the cake rise into the second half.

Make sure your strings are tight and hold the mold closed! Even little gaps can let batter leak out.

6. Bake cake for the maximum amount of time called for in the recipe.

Once your lamb is tied up nice and tight, unless you are lucky enough to have a vintage Renalde mold, there really isn’t a way to check whether or not the lamb cake is done in the center. After I pulled a cake that was completely raw in the middle, I decided that unless you know your oven and have made your recipe so many times that you know exactly how long it takes, it is best to just leave the cake in for the maximum time called for in the recipe.

7. Cool cake properly before removing from mold.

Your lamb will crack apart if you try to shake him out too soon. The best method I found is this one: Let your lamb cool for 15 mins after removing it from the oven. Then cut the strings on the mold and remove only the back half. Let cool for another 15 mins before flipping the lamb over and attempting to remove the face.

8. Loosen edges on the face side completely before trying to de-pan your lamb.

Your lamb, if you made it properly, will contain sugar, and sugar is sticky. Especially the caramelized sugar around the edges of the pan. I run a sharp knife around the edges of the lamb cake, and then carefully pull the cake back from the edge to make sure it is free. If you skip this, things aren’t going to go well. Those thin little ears are going to be crispy and completely stuck to the edge of the pan. And we already covered how dumb the lamb will look without ears, didn’t we?

9. Let your lamb cool completely before trying to frost it.

I know, I know. You want to get the little sucker upright now, because you are proud of how he came out in one piece. But you must wait. If you try to make him stand now, he is just going to crack. I found it took about 90 mins after the final de-pan for the lambs to be cool enough to sit up straight.

10. Give your lamb a good base to sit on.

The same sharp knife you used to loosen your lamb is useful once again. Use it to cut off the bottom ridge created by the mold. This will give the lamb a good solid base. Also, remember that it will need some glue to sit upright. Use a knife to spread a good amount of your frosting over the base you plan on putting your lamb on. Then gently pick the lamb up and place him directly on the frosting stripe and make sure he is secured.

And there it is! Your perfect retro lamb cake, ready for frosting and decorating!

If you are interested to see which lamb cake recipes I made, you can join me for the “8 Days of Lamb Cakes” here on the Mid-Century Menu, which is going to start on April 1st and run until Easter Sunday. I tested out 8 cakes and 7 frostings sent to me by readers, and Tom taste-tested them all! We will let you know the pros and cons of each recipe, and which lamb cake is going to be on our table on Easter Sunday!

1. Yinzerella March 28, 2012 at 8:43 am - Reply

Must. Get. Lamb. Pan.

• RetroRuth March 28, 2012 at 9:40 am - Reply

Yes! Must! I can’t lie; it’s really, really awesome.

• Karen April 19, 2014 at 9:34 pm - Reply

I inherited my grandfather’s cast iron pan…he was a baker and made many of these every Easter. It’s in the oven as we speak. Thanks for the tips!

• Joan March 28, 2012 at 3:06 pm - Reply

Check your local antique store if you have one. That’s where I found mine.

• Kathy April 19, 2014 at 3:18 pm - Reply

Yinzerella! You must be from Pittsburgh! Yes you need a lamb pan. Just made my lamb cake for the first time from my grandmother’s pan (which my mom presented to me a few weeks ago – I took the hint). Success! Will post picture after it is frosted. Kathy (from Pgh)

2. Eartha Kitsch March 28, 2012 at 10:43 am - Reply

8 cakes and 7 frostings!! Wow, you have been working like a mad woman to master those lamb cakes! I have to admit that it has made me a little less scared to do it though. Maybe I’ll drag out the lamb pan and give it a go at some point. Though, only AFTER you’ve done your entire series so I have the best lamb cake ever!

Could one use popsicle sticks to reinforce the head and neck?

• RetroRuth March 28, 2012 at 11:38 am - Reply

You totally should take a crack at it! I have a couple really good recipes coming up, so you will no longer need to fear anything.

Sure, popsicle sticks are no problem as long as they are safe for food! I just say that because I have seen some craft ones recently that were a little questionable. I wouldn’t use anything in the cake that could be splintery, because getting splinters in your mouth is NOT fun. Eeesh.

• Eric March 16, 2013 at 5:31 pm - Reply

My grandmother always uses toothpicks to support the head and neck. Because of this, we tend to avoid that area.

3. Sara In AZ March 28, 2012 at 11:53 am - Reply

OMG!!! Adorable! Thanks for all of those great tips Ruth, now I must go get me a rabbit cake mold! :)

4. Sharla March 28, 2012 at 3:23 pm - Reply

Where could I get a lamb pan? My mom has a set of train pans that I’d love to use, and I bet most of these tricks would work for that, too.

• RetroRuth March 28, 2012 at 3:29 pm - Reply

Hi Sharla! Lamb pans are all over eBay. Just search for “vintage lamb cake pan”. They are also on Etsy and probably in your local antique store. Good luck!

Oh, and if you make that train cake, send a pic! :)

5. Laura March 28, 2012 at 5:53 pm - Reply

I have to hand it to you, you are DEDICATED. It looks adorable. You may already know this, but I’ll pass along a tip that another more experienced baker gave me, which is never to use butter to grease a pan. ALWAYS use shortening. She explained to me the milk proteins in butter “burn” or “seize up” in baking and can cause sticking, especially in the corners. I never thought there was any difference, but once I switched to only using Crisco I got along a lot better getting perfect Bundt cakes. Can’t wait to see the finished fluffy lamby-kins!

6. Jennifer March 30, 2012 at 10:32 am - Reply

I am looking forward to seeing all the trials. I make one every year, but I always am looking for the perfect recipe. Pound cake or more dense cakes seem to handle the form better. The frosting preference has been a butter cream with Cognac flavoring.

7. Martha Kintzonides March 31, 2012 at 1:31 am - Reply

Dear Ruth,

You ARE THE QUEEN OF THE LAMBIE CAKES! You have really de-mystified the beloved Lambie Cake. I want you to know that you have given me a new confidence & resolve to try once again to make the lambie cake of my dreams.

Best Wishes, Martha K.

8. lizzy April 3, 2012 at 11:18 am - Reply

i make a lamb cake every year, since my great grandmother used to do it we have all kept up the tradition. a few years ago i hit my peak and did it with fondant:

i have a great cake recipe that i used (i made it up to work with the lamb pan) in the post, too. i’ve never reinforced my lambies and they’ve turned out great, but i guess better safe than sorry! it think the key is to use a nice heavy cake recipe and yes, grease + flour!

9. Lou Ann April 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm - Reply

I have to admit that I am the worst at being patient for the cake to cool before removing the pan. That is probably why they ALWAYS stick in one spot or another. Is there a worry in letting it cool too long?

• RetroRuth April 4, 2012 at 6:59 pm - Reply

I don’t think so, Lou Ann, but to be on the safe side I would not wait for it to become completely cool before you take it out! I let a few cool a little longer than the recommended time and they still depanned okay.

10. Buzz April 4, 2012 at 3:56 pm - Reply

These lamb cakes are making me nostalgic for the panda bear cake pan we had when I was little. It had directions for a marble cake and a plan for black and white frosting. I loved making those cakes. Unfortunately, my mother thought they were way too much work, and I was horrified when I learned that she’d given the whole set away.

11. Mary April 4, 2012 at 10:36 pm - Reply

Enjoyed your comments. The lamb cake has been a tradition of the O’Bryant family over 42 years. Unsure when my mother-in-law started the tradition but we are continuing that tradition this year with our grand daughter. I will be using her pan that is probably over 50 yrs old.

12. Maria April 5, 2012 at 1:24 pm - Reply

I make a lamb cake every year for Easter with my Nana’s pan… Never heard about adding the toothpicks for support inside… I will have to try that this year! I’ve never had the head fall off, but transport is always stressful! (Also, if you don’t have Baker’s twine, I’ve used dental floss.)

13. The Summer Kitchen Girls April 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm - Reply

This is hillarious….a week of lamb cakes ~ LOVE it! Grandma use to make one for us when we were little….complete with green coconut grass, jelly beans & peanut butter eggs….and we’d look at it sitting on the stereo waiting not so patiently for Easter so we could eat it….of course the jelly beans seemed to somehow be gone by then!!
    Thanks for the recipes, making one tonight ~ can’t wait :)

14. Suzanne April 8, 2012 at 7:50 pm - Reply

My mom and I just had a good laugh reading your tips and thinking about all of our Lamb Cake debacles over the years! We have been recording our experiences on a sheet of paper that we keep inside the lamb pan (We call it the lamb vault!). We have had to lay the cake down because it wouldn’t stand up and it has had major stomach problems before. We were both crying when you discussed the head falling off because one year we had it propped up with medicine bottles and toothpicks when we went to bed. In the morning the poor head was just laying on the counter! We will try the supports and the string idea too. This year we are proud to say our lamb is standing (for now)!! I think it’s about time for a piece too! Thanks for the great laugh and tips!

15. Joanne March 27, 2013 at 11:54 am - Reply

Tying it shut is genius! Never thought about that…it will save me! I’m on trial #2 and it split because I didn’t “seal” the pan shut. My batter came above the pan half. Is that ok or should I take some out?

• RetroRuth March 28, 2013 at 12:57 pm - Reply

Hey Joanne! I would take out a bit of batter until it is below the pan half, unless you know that your batter doesn’t rise very much!

16. stephanie March 29, 2013 at 9:38 am - Reply

have a fairly new lamb mold – 10 years old and it measures 10″ across the base. i’m using a traditional lamb mold recipe which is pretty much a pound cake. anyone have any idea how long to bake and what temperature?
    thanks!

• RetroRuth March 29, 2013 at 9:43 am - Reply

Hey Stephanie –

Do you have the Wilton pan? If you do, here is a link to their instructions: http://www.wilton.com/shapedpan/Stand-Up-Lamb-Pan-Set If you still can’t find it in there, I would bake it at 350 degrees for 55 minutes, but that is just guessing on my part. Good luck!

17. Amber March 29, 2013 at 6:47 pm - Reply

I am using my grandmas old lamb mode. I believe its cast iron, it is pretty heavy. My first attempt, it came out of the mold fine but it didnt rise all the way into the second half :/ what can i do to fix this?! please let me know someone!
    thanks :]]

• RetroRuth March 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm - Reply

Hey Amber!

Make sure you fill up the face half of the mold completely so that the cake will rise into the second (back) half. If you did this and the cake didn’t rise into the back half, then make sure your recipe uses the correct amount of eggs, sugar and leavening.
      Good luck!!

18. Skotti Frese March 30, 2013 at 10:34 am - Reply

Would you ever substitute real, cultured buttermilk (I make my own) for the 1 cup of whole milk? Do I dare try it? Easter is tomorrow, so no time for a do-over! Real buttermilk provides such a nice, tangy ZING but I’m worried about messing up your recipe. Help!

• RetroRuth March 30, 2013 at 11:15 am - Reply

Hi Skotti!

I haven’t done it, but I imagine that you could. The texture would probably be slightly heavier, but otherwise it should work. No guarantees though! Good luck!

• Skotti Frese March 30, 2013 at 2:43 pm - Reply

Ok, I chickened out and didn’t use the buttermilk. Instead, I followed your directions to the letter and ….. SUCCESS! My little lamb is perfect and I am so thrilled! Thank you! First time it has ever come out perfectly. The toothpicks were the saving grace for his ears and nose.

19. Sharon March 30, 2013 at 1:59 pm - Reply

Thanks for all the advise. I used the boxed pound cake mix. It was the perfect amount and a great texture. I used silicone bands to hold the molds together while baking. I did not use the picks in the batter but before frosting the lamb, I put a skewer through the head and down the body to the cake dish. I will be taking this cake to my daughters home for Easter so it will help to keep it firm. I will remove it before serving. I also took your advise about the cooking time. I actually went about 10 minutes longer. The cake turned out perfect. This lamb cake mold was my mother’s and I know she will be smiling down on us and enjoying the smiles on her great grandchildren’s faces when the decorated lamb shows up on the dessert table!

20. Karen Sims March 30, 2013 at 3:41 pm - Reply

My Renalde mold is now 63 years old. My mother passed it on to me 3 years ago after having baking one for 60 years straight! I remember as a child trying to find the perfect recipe to keep the batter from oozing out. We had the additional challenge of living in Boulder, Colorado at about 6,000 ft. elevation! I’m trying to keep the tradition going, but I have never tried tying the mold together with twine. Great idea. We used a brick on top once, but even that didn’t keep the batter in! Thanks for the great tips! Happy baking! I’m waiting for my granddaughter to arrive so we can decorate it together.

21. Cathy March 30, 2013 at 9:39 pm - Reply

My future DIL was making a lamb cake for Sunday’s dinner, she called me for advice. I have never made a lambcake So I told her to tie the mold together, take a small brick (covered in aluminum foil) and place that on the mold. That should hold it. Haven’t heard from her yet, so I’m thinking that it worked!

22. Kim Walters March 31, 2013 at 3:14 pm - Reply

Thanks for all of the hints. I was able to make the cake and not have the ears and head fall off. I’ll let you know how it tastes later.

23. Elizabeth April 3, 2013 at 11:25 am - Reply

I’ve been making a lamb cake for several years and never had any batter ooze out. I use the same exact mold as you do. It may be because I use a pound cake mix? Not sure but it might save time and twine for those who want to try it!:)

24. Harriet September 10, 2013 at 5:43 pm - Reply

Thank-you so much for these helpful tips – Mum bought a lamb mould from a vintage fair and we had a go together. I wrote a blog post about it, and mentioned how helpful your tips were!

25. Donna Chapman March 13, 2014 at 9:29 pm - Reply

It has been a real pleasure & good laughs to read all the comments about making the lamb cake. I just bought a cast iron 14 inch mold (which had some rust spots) at an antique mall. Before trying to use the mold, I’ve put it into my selfcleaning oven for a few hours & will wash & dry it then season it with Crisco shortening. Having done that to my iron skillets, they work great.
    I’ve ordered a booklet that’s supposed to tell me how to use the lamb mold, but have already learned the fun way from all you ladies. Thanks for all the tips.

26. Pam Roberts April 14, 2014 at 10:44 pm - Reply

It has been so interesting to read all of the comments. I am 70 years old and have been wishing I had my grandmother’s lamb cake mold for years! Little did I know that there were so many out there! Hers was very heavy, and she had trouble with the ears staying on sometimes! ANyway, She used a carrot cake recipe and white whipped cream cheese frosting,

After the lamb was frosted she sprinkled it with white coconut, out put on raisin eyes and s candy red hot heart mouth, Then she dyed more coconut green with food coloring and used it all around the base as grass. There were always tons of jelly bean “hiding” in the grass!

I am making my first ever lamb cake this Easter for daughter’s family, which includes two grandsons. It will be a surprise. I cannot wit until they see it!! THanks for a fof our \ehlship. DID you ever ue or do you know of someone who has used a carrot cake for the lamb??

MAny Thanks, Pam

27. Florene Stultz April 17, 2014 at 10:48 pm - Reply

I have my grandma’s vintage lamb cake pan. So which is the best recipe to use? I plan to make one on Saturday.

28. Christina April 18, 2014 at 8:32 am - Reply

I’ve been given the task to bake the lamb cake this year after a 40+year hiatus. Please tell me if you had batter in both sides before you tied it together? I’m thinking “no” but would love confirmation.
    Thanks, I’ve never used a mold!

29. Rachael April 18, 2014 at 5:54 pm - Reply

It worked!!!! Thank you soooo much for your research on these lamb cakes! I use my grandmothers vintage cast aluminum mold every year at Easter and have ALWAYS “glued” the two sides together with icing. I stumbled across your instructions on Pinterest the other day, and followed them completely. Just now, we removed the last part and our little lamb is perfect! :)

30. Lisa April 18, 2014 at 10:49 pm - Reply

I am so excited to have found your post. I found an aluminum retro lamb cake pan in my closet – totally forgot I had it. It was my mother’s and I have wonderful memories of the cakes she used to make at Easter – both this lamb and a bunny cake. I need to find that bunny mold now!
    With your wonderful directions, I’m going to give this a try tomorrow. If all goes well, my mother and brother will have a surprise when I arrive for Easter dinner with this wonderful childhood memory!
    Thank you!!

31. Melissa Sinner April 19, 2014 at 10:47 am - Reply

Uh-oh… You’ve started a battle ROYALE in our household. My husband looks forward to Lambie Cake more than Christmas or any other holiday food. I use the same molds that you do, I was shocked and amazed by the tie it together revelation as well! However, my husband & sons are too disappointed at the loss of the gigantic frosting vein that I always needed to use to glue together the two sides of the lamb. They say it’s like that line of fat that makes a T-Bone steak so tender & delicious. Oh, the quandry you have wrought! But I’m glad you did – lots of fun experimentation in my household today! Thanks!

32. Sandy April 19, 2014 at 8:57 pm - Reply

Thanks SO much! You saved my life, or at least my cake. I used my brand new cast iron mold once in the 60′s and a dear friend asked if she could borrow it. Upon returning it she mentioned ever-so-nonchalantly that she had lost the directions that came with it with all of the hints and tips for success. Since then I’ve been experimenting with different times and temps, sometimes with better results than others. I feel much more confident now. My only problem is that my younger daughter never thought to buy Crisco since she’s always baked with sprays like Pam, etc. Based on your remarks I’m afraid to use that so I think I’ll have to roll the dice on butter and flour. Hope it works! Good luck, everyone. Enjoy your lovely lamb cakes.

• Linda Stanton September 6, 2014 at 1:00 pm - Reply

Hi… Try using Coconut Oil… to grease pans.. it melts immediately from hand heat & is delicious & really good for you!! Look it up on internet as it is the only thing I use for everything now—- what a Gift from God…..

33. Jenny April 22, 2014 at 9:45 am - Reply

Hi Ruth – I made my first lamb cake on Thursday and I followed your instructions to the letter. What JOY was caused by the making, the decorating and the revealing of the cake to the folks I gifted it to. Everybody LOVED it – it’s not a tradition here in the UK at all, so thanks to you I am the toast of the town!

I blogged about it here: http://www.silverscreensuppers.com/uncategorized/happy-easter-lamb-cake

A belated happy easter to you and yours and thanks for your sterling work introducing lamb cakes to the world! – Jenny xxx

• RetroRuth April 22, 2014 at 9:44 pm - Reply

Oh my gosh! I LOVE the google eyes! It looks delicious. :)

34. Paula April 29, 2014 at 4:15 pm - Reply

Thank you so much for your helpful tips with using the lamb pan! My Aunt has made a lamb cake every year for Easter for as long as I can remember. She typically uses a pound cake from the box. I had success with using a lemon bundt cake recipe. I also followed your guidelines with using supports for the ears and neck, tied the pan together and greased the pans generously followed by flour. I didn’t realize if there was any flour bare spots in the mould it could affect the cake, so I made sure every inch was well covered. My frosting from a marscapone and coconut recipe. Thank you for helping me continue the tradition for my generation with a lamb cake I can be proud of.

35. James Lane June 4, 2014 at 5:06 pm - Reply

how do you clean the mold that hasn't been used for years and its a mess,

36. Linda Stanton September 6, 2014 at 4:53 pm - Reply

My Aunt Margaret made this for us when we were little kids! I was about 7. I just found this pan at an estate sale & bought for my sister who will be 65 this year… It was with out a box so sending her your excellent web site along with jelly beans & coconut… I got it all now piece by piece… she will love it!! Maybe I could talk her into making one for her friend Thomas Keller — Chef extrodinaire at the French Laundry…. what a hoot! Thank you for all the great tips!!

37. Linda Stanton September 6, 2014 at 4:55 pm - Reply

I did not use anything scratchy…… I boiled water & put mold in… then with tongs took out & cleaned a litte carefully… then back to water till all nooks & crannies clean…. it time consuming but so worth it!!

38. Beth September 9, 2014 at 9:50 am - Reply

I have my grandmother’s lamb cake mold but looking for the bunny mold she used to have – looks like bunny resting in grass – ears don’t stand up. My grandmother always made ears out of white paper since the actual cake ears didn’t really show once the cake was frosted. Does anyone know where I can find this mold? Wish I had a picture…

• RetroRuth September 9, 2014 at 1:14 pm - Reply

Hey Beth!

As far as I know, Animold made a crouching rabbit. Not sure if that helps, but that is the one I am aware of.
      Not that the name will help you much, because most of the time the name of the company wasn’t on the mold anywhere. But I would start on eBay or Etsy, they always have a ton of cake pans for sale! I just got a rabbit one last year (not the one you are looking for, but one of the standing ones). Good luck!