Quick Brownies – A Mid-Century Recipe Test

Posted on Jan 25 2012 - 6:00am by RetroRuth

I am in the mood for chocolate this week. I admit it. But I am also in the mood for a little mid-century culinary magic. You know the kind I’m talking about. The magic of a few ingredients thrown together that make something else completely unexpected. A whole new thing.  You know what I mean.  Like how a horse and a donkey together make a mule.

We’ve seen it in Tunnel of Fudge Cake (frosting mix makes fudge?), Hot Fudge Pudding Cake (Bisquick makes pudding?), and even Tuna Cakes with Mushroom Sauce (canned spaghetti makes tuna cakes?). And now, we are doing the magic with brownies.

Borden's Eagle Brand 70 Magic Recipes001

Quick brownies, to be precise.

Borden's Eagle Brand 70 Magic Recipes002

And this week, the part of the horse will be played by chocolate chips, and the part of the donkey will be played by sweetened condensed milk.

And I guess the walnuts will be, like, the uncle? Or something?

A note for everyone who is going to make these, and I totally know you are: They are serious when they tell you to take it off the heat after you add the sweetened condensed milk. Otherwise, you get lumps.

At this point, the “brownies” were pretty much fudge. A delicious fudge, mind you, but still fudge. I had no idea how it was going to make it to “brownie”.

But I should have more faith in the people at Eagle, because…

Look at this! Brownies! Somehow, this made brownies. They actually rose in the oven and became a little cakey and everything.

Ladies and gentlemen, the mule is here!

And no, it is not Tom.

“Wait. This is just chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk?”

IMG_7400IMG_7401IMG_7403

“Holy crap, it’s a brownie.”

“Really?” I have to admit I was very excited. “I can’t believe that worked!”

“It’s chewy, but it’s a brownie.”

“But I’m still confused.”

The Verdict: Really good. So, all of your wildest dreams have come true. Brownies really can be made from chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Seriously. No flour. No eggs. Just stuff you have in your pantry. But don’t forget the nuts. ‘Cause the brownies need those, too.

1. ae January 25, 2012 at 8:27 am - Reply

Oooh! I do have all of that in my pantry! Guess I’ll start eating healthier next week!

• RetroRuth January 25, 2012 at 9:01 am - Reply

Ha ha! 🙂

2. Sara In AZ January 25, 2012 at 9:37 am - Reply

Must make this………must make this IMMEDIATELY!!!!! 🙂

3. veg-o-matic January 25, 2012 at 10:31 am - Reply

“Holy crap, it’s a brownie” is my new favorite Tom Quote.

• RetroRuth January 27, 2012 at 1:17 pm - Reply

It was pretty hilarious, wasn’t it? At at the time, it was pretty much what we were both thinking. 🙂

4. Eartha Kitsch January 25, 2012 at 10:54 am - Reply

But wait…this is extra exciting because people allergic to gluten can still have brownies because these don’t have any flour in them. Groundbreaking! (and yay!)

• RetroRuth January 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm - Reply

I know! The whole thing is very exciting. 🙂

5. Annie B. January 25, 2012 at 2:24 pm - Reply

Holy Moly! I have for years been making fudge from that recipe, using the entire can of Eagle Brand, and the fudge is the best ever. Who would’ve dreamed you could bake that mixture? I’ll be jiggered! There IS magic, after all. Must must must try this.

• Annie B. January 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm - Reply

WHOA! I use one and one half bags of chocolate chips. Sorry!

• RetroRuth January 27, 2012 at 1:20 pm - Reply

Annie B – I have made the fudge too, and it was super good. I figured if the brownies didn’t turn out, at least they would still be good fudge. Imagine my surprise when they actually baked up!

6. Andrea January 25, 2012 at 11:30 pm - Reply

Holy crap, I am so trying this! I am pretty sure I have all of the ingredients, too, not to mention I love chewy brownies!

• RetroRuth January 27, 2012 at 1:20 pm - Reply

Dooooooo it! Do it! They are really good!

7. ae January 27, 2012 at 8:28 am - Reply

Delicious even though I messed up and used 16 oz of chocolate chips! The leftover “milk” is delicious in coffee. thanks, Ruth!

• RetroRuth January 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm - Reply

Glad the leftover milk was good in coffee! And that the brownies still tasted good!