Halloween Party Treats Tested – Goblin Franks, Halloween Punch And Cocoa Marshmallow Bars

Posted on Oct 31 2011 - 9:18am by RetroRuth

Happy Halloween, Everyone! Today we have a special edition of the Mid-Century Menu for you, that couldn’t wait until Wednesday.

And what couldn’t wait? Well, we have Halloween Party Treats from Betty Crocker! Here is some Halloween Punch, Cocoa Marshmallow Bars and  Goblin Franks!

Betty Crocker Halloween Party002

Betty Crocker Halloween Party004

Betty Crocker Halloween Party001

Yeah. I was kinda disappointed to find out that the Cocoa Marshmallow Bars were just Rice Krispy Treats made with Cocoa Puffs. I hope you aren’t too let down.

But then I had an excuse to buy Cocoa Puffs again and then eat them after they’ve been drenched in marshmallow. Suddenly, things starting looking up.

By the way, Tom and I had just finished painting our bedroom, so he was really, really thirsty.

IMG_6792IMG_6793IMG_6794IMG_6795IMG_6796IMG_6797

Gone in one gulp.

“How is it?”

“Good.” He made a face, “Tastes like orange juice and ginger ale mixed together. Because apparently orange juice isn’t acidic enough on it’s own.”

Then it was time for the Goblin Franks. Which

don’t look much like Goblins, incidentally. Maybe I should have made better fork marks on them?

IMG_6807IMG_6804IMG_6810IMG_6814IMG_6816

“These are dry.”

“Give me that.” I snatched it out of his hand and took a bite. “Huh. It is dry.”

“Yep.”

“It doesn’t taste like a corndog.”

“Nope.”

“It tastes like a hot dog rolled in pie crust.”

Sigh. “Yeah.”

“What do you think it tastes like? These things are good.”

The Verdict:

Halloween Punch: Good.

Goblin Franks: Dry. I ended up peeling most of the Goblin part off my frank. Even with ketchup it was hard to get down.

Cocoa Marshmallow Bars: Awesome. As we expected.

Have a Happy Halloween!

1. Yinzerella October 31, 2011 at 10:46 am - Reply

Goblin Franks sad face.

I love the Polish fest tee-shirt.

2. veg-o-matic October 31, 2011 at 11:27 am - Reply

I don’t know–Tom doesn’t look too impressed with the Cocoa Marshmallow Bars.

Maybe the Goblin Franks would have been better had they been wrapped in cheese first.

Or bacon.

Or both…

• RetroRuth November 3, 2011 at 3:42 pm - Reply

Yeah, he didn’t have an excited face for those, did he? However, he did go on to eat half the pan, so that has to say something. 🙂

3. Sara In AZ October 31, 2011 at 12:13 pm - Reply

Tom seriously has like the best expressions EVER!!! That last pic just kills me! 🙂 Bummer that the Goblin Franks did not taste that good, they were almost really terrifying looking – more fork marks would have completely done the trick! 😉

4. Erica November 1, 2011 at 8:32 pm - Reply

The “goblin frank” looks like a very dehydrated sea cucumber. Or a banana. I guess that qualifies as the “trick” part of the evening?

At least the cocoa marshmallow bars were good 🙂

5. Buzz November 1, 2011 at 8:49 pm - Reply

I’ve noticed there are a lot of old recipes for “kids'” drinks that call for mixing some kind of soda-pop into another conventional beverage. I have yet to come across one that had much of anything going for it. (Bourbon and root beer, for example, is vile—although that one’s not really a recipe for kids.)

• RetroRuth November 3, 2011 at 3:42 pm - Reply

Oh god! Bourbon and root beer! Eww!!

6. BlueRoc85 November 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm - Reply

“It tastes like a hot dog rolled in pie crust”…Hilarious! I cant stop laughing! The expression on his face in the picture that follows is priceless!