California Dip Deviled Eggs, 1965 – A Mid-Century Recipe Test

Posted on Apr 19 2017 - 5:10am by RetroRuth

I hope everyone had a great Easter! I don’t know about how things went down in your house, but my excited three-year-old dyed a lot of eggs this year.  So I am taking advantage of all the hard-boiled eggs to experiment with some deviled egg variations.

These are California Dip Deviled Eggs!

California Dip Deviled Eggs

• 8 hard-cooked eggs
  • 1 cup California Dip
  • ¼ cup finely chopped celery
  • ½ teaspoon lemon juice
  1. Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Remove yolks and mash; blend in California Dip, celery and lemon juice. Generously fill egg white halves, then chill.

Lipton California Dip Deviled Eggs001

I’ll see you later, chicken sandwich spread.

I know, I know. We all know how this will probably end, and this recipe is a just paper-thin excuse for Lipton to try and push yet more onion soup mix into our lives, but I always look at recipes like this and just wonder how good they really are.

Which I guess is the whole reason I have this blog! Bonus: Now you are forced to experience it as well.

Okay. So, mixed up it pretty much just looks like onion soup dip.

It didn’t change much after I had loaded it into the whites. Unlike the normal brightly yellow colored deviled eggs, the onion dip made this kind of a sad, gray-yellow color. Taupe, maybe? In any case, I followed the example in the recipe picture and gave them a dash of paprika to brighten them up.

Or, a bit more than a dash on the eggs Alex “helped” with.

IMG_6905IMG_6913

“That’s…interesting.”

“Are they bad.”

“No. They are just absolutely nothing like deviled eggs.”

The Verdict: Not Deviled Eggs

From The Tasting Notes –

If you like onion dip (or, California Dip), than these might just be the eggs for you. Unsurprisingly, they tasted mostly like onion dip and not really at all like regular deviled eggs. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. They were good. They tasted like a creamier, thicker onion dip squirted into egg whites. Alex actually bypassed the finished deviled eggs and just dipped some chips straight into the leftover yolk/dip concoction in the bowl and proceeded to eat a great deal of it. (There was a LOT leftover after filling the whites. Maybe I needed to load them up a bit more.) Interestingly, even though the eggs are pictured in the recipe with paprika on them, the paprika was actually kind of a gross addition. The eggs that weren’t sprinkled with it tasted much better.

Outtake:

“I’m making Daddy’s face!”

1. EdithKeeler April 19, 2017 at 10:01 am - Reply

Ok, I learned something new today: I had no idea that good ol’ French onion dip was really called “California dip.”

My mom, and now me, have been making Mid-century deviled eggs recipe for years. To a basic deviled egg recipe (mayo, a little mustard, no pickle relish–at least at our house!–and no added salt until you taste), add a can of Underwood deviled ham. Apparently came from an Underwood ad way back when and now lost to history, but that’s the way we make to this day.

2. TeddiC April 19, 2017 at 1:11 pm - Reply

You gave me a great idea for my leftover roast chicken and boiled eggs. You hinted at a chicken salad and that is exactly what I am going to make. Thanks!!

3. Lassie April 19, 2017 at 5:16 pm - Reply

I just go with the classic egg yolk mashed with mayo, salt, pepper, and a dash of paprika for color. Really, can’t get better than that, no matter how you tart up those leftover Easter eggs. Or make egg salad, macaroni or potato salad. I love me some eggs with mayo in any form.

4. Laura (Untwisted Vintage) April 19, 2017 at 6:44 pm - Reply

I have eaten sooooooo many eggs this week. This looks intriguing. Have you tried the chicken and olive spread that is in the same advertisement? That looks like it has potential too.

5. Marty April 21, 2017 at 12:58 am - Reply

Hmmmm…I’d think that California Dip would make anything taste better, but apparently that isn’t always the case. Oh well, live and learn. 🙂 I can attest to it tasting good in chicken salad; I haven’t made it with olives, but I’ve added leftover dip to chopped chicken breasts. The only thing to be careful with is the salt level — if you’re not careful, you’ll attract deer.

I remember dyeing eggs at about Alex’s age — that’s when mom and dad determined that ALL artistic endeavors were to be done outside. In the yard. Over the grass and not the patio.

Love Alex’s attempt at “Tom Face.”

6. Anji April 21, 2017 at 2:15 pm - Reply

It strikes me that a whole cup of the dip is probably too much for only 8 eggs. That’s an ounce of dip per egg half even before the yolks get mashed in – that’s a LOT of dip! Maybe cutting back on that would make them taste eggier? I dunno, I’m the weirdo who puts Italian dressing mix into my deviled eggs.

7. Eolra April 24, 2017 at 10:03 pm - Reply

Hi Ruth! I’ve been creeping on your blog for a while and never commented – big fan! My go-to recipe for using up superfluous hard-boiled eggs is a little gem that my mom always used to make at Easter. It is most definitely *at least* mid-century because I found a version of the recipe in my grandma’s recipe box (40’s – 70’s ), even though my memories of it are strictly from my mom. Anyway, it’s called Eggs a la Goldenrod (you can easily find several recipes by googling it; I guess I should scan and e-mail you my copy so you have an original mid-century copy). Basically you make a cream sauce, and add sliced up hard-boiled egg whites to it, then take the yolks and press them through a mesh sieve, creating a yellow yolk “powder”. You spoon the white-sauce mixture over buttered toast or biscuits, and then sprinkle the “golden” yolks over top. We LOVED it as kids and I still make it for Easter brunch every year 🙂