The New Baby Is Here!

Posted on Nov 30 2016 - 3:25am by RetroRuth

Whew! Well, thank you to everyone who has been hanging on through this Mid-Century Menu drought! And thank you to everyone who emailed me and commented asking if everything was okay. Everything was just fine, and now it is even better because I am done with my big “project.”

Meet TJ!

TJ, or Thomas Jonathan, was born about three weeks ago, and we are so happy that he is finally here. And I am so happy that I am done being pregnant! Besides the normal pregnancy irritations and worries, I also had gestational diabetes and was told by my doctor in about month six that I needed to “stop making and eating all that weird food.” So I stopped testing recipes. In fact, I stopped looking at recipes all together because I couldn’t stand it. I missed testing recipes, and you guys, dreadfully.

But we are back in business now! You can expect lots of “new” vintage recipes from here on out, though I might miss a few weeks here and there due to sleeplessness and the amazing amount of dirty diapers we have to change. Seriously. TJ eats like a champ!

Thanks for sticking with me, and I can’t wait to get back to making and sharing “weird” food!

1. Beth November 30, 2016 at 6:44 am - Reply

Congratulations! I sure have missed your posts, but am glad to see it was for the best reason ever. You and Tom do great work!

2. Anne November 30, 2016 at 6:52 am - Reply

Congratulations!

3. phairhead November 30, 2016 at 7:05 am - Reply

Congrats!

4. Michelle November 30, 2016 at 7:24 am - Reply

Congratulations

5. Bam-Bam November 30, 2016 at 7:27 am - Reply

Congrats! And I FINALLY tried some of your recipes after years and years of reading your site. They were both big successes as part of our comfort-themed Thanksgiving.

6. Gina Loya November 30, 2016 at 7:37 am - Reply

Congratulations! That is a VERY vintage recipe you’ve been working on for nine months. I’m sure you will find it quite scrumptious! What a cutie pie.

7. Morgan November 30, 2016 at 7:58 am - Reply

Congratulations!

8. brandy November 30, 2016 at 8:22 am - Reply

Both of your kids are so cute!! He looks like he doesn’t know what to think of big sis!

9. OLD AND GRUMPY November 30, 2016 at 8:51 am - Reply

Congrats. Another taste tester!

10. Mia November 30, 2016 at 9:06 am - Reply

He’s perfect!

11. Katherine November 30, 2016 at 9:08 am - Reply

Congratulations!!! What a beautiful blessing. We sure missed you, but of course family comes first. 🙂

12. Sara November 30, 2016 at 9:09 am - Reply

Congratulations!

13. Mary November 30, 2016 at 9:19 am - Reply

Congratulations!!!

14. Katri November 30, 2016 at 9:49 am - Reply

Congratulations!!

15. Lisa November 30, 2016 at 9:50 am - Reply

Congratulations!!

16. Michelle November 30, 2016 at 10:13 am - Reply

Congrats!

17. Andrea November 30, 2016 at 10:23 am - Reply

Congrats again! He’s a real cutie!

18. Susan November 30, 2016 at 10:35 am - Reply

Tom finally has some “male reinforcements”! He looks like a mini Tom and a perfect compliment to your “mini you” Alex. Congratulations! Mid-century baby food recipes in the future, perhaps? 🙂

19. Leslie November 30, 2016 at 10:39 am - Reply

Congratulations! He’s beautiful!

20. Anji November 30, 2016 at 11:26 am - Reply

Ahhhh, oh my gosh, congratulations! You must be so thrilled!

21. Charlotte November 30, 2016 at 11:43 am - Reply

Ohhhh…congratulations! I thought you were getting tired of making new things. I got the tired part right. Beautiful little guy!

22. Lassie November 30, 2016 at 12:05 pm - Reply

Oh, he is adorable!!! Congratulations, much happiness to all of you!

I’m glad you’re back, I was wondering why no new recipes in so long.

😀

23. ElleElle November 30, 2016 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Congratulations! You have a beautiful addition to a beautiful family!

24. Emily November 30, 2016 at 8:41 pm - Reply

Congratulations! He’s precious! A worthy reason for leaving us all without new recipes, I think 😉

25. Kayla November 30, 2016 at 10:56 pm - Reply

Congratulations! He is so precious!

I binge read your entire blog within a few weeks a couple months back. I completely fell in love but school started up and I lost the time I had. The adorable face of your son was such a sweet welcome back to the blog.

26. Cybergranola November 30, 2016 at 11:47 pm - Reply

Congratulations!.

27. Marty December 1, 2016 at 12:31 am - Reply

Mazal Tov! You and Tom definitely make gorgeous children! You have another helper in the mid-century kitchen.

Wishing you all joy, love, and some sleep.

28. Erik Stutzman December 1, 2016 at 1:43 am - Reply

Congratulations on a successful recipe! I think you can put both of these delightful kids in THE BEST section 🙂

29. Lacey December 1, 2016 at 3:36 am - Reply

Awww…he’s beautiful! Congratulations! And it sounds like you’ll have a willing participant for future taste tests. 🙂

30. Helen Sch December 1, 2016 at 4:10 am - Reply

Congratulations on having two such lovely children. Very best wishes from England!

31. SusieQT December 1, 2016 at 7:25 am - Reply

Congrats! I had gestational diabetes as well, and interestingly one of the few sweets I could eat was sugar-free jello. I think I ate more jello at that time than any other in my entire life!

32. Kate from Iowa December 1, 2016 at 8:23 am - Reply

Congrats! He’s very cute and looks like he’ll probably be just as red-haired as his sister! (Can be a problem, my brother’s dealing with explaining to one of his kids why he doesn’t have hair like his stepsisters.)

33. deb December 1, 2016 at 9:12 am - Reply

Yay! Sweet babies…

34. Dana December 1, 2016 at 9:27 am - Reply

Congratulations on the new arrival! Very glad to know that you’ll be back to trying “new” recipes and sharing the hilarious results with us. We missed you!

35. Teddi Carbonneau December 1, 2016 at 12:53 pm - Reply

Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy.

36. Jessica December 1, 2016 at 2:53 pm - Reply

Wow! What a beautiful boy! Congrats! Get some rest. You deserve it!

37. Marlayne Généreux December 1, 2016 at 3:38 pm - Reply

Congratulations on the little one!

I feel you, I had Gestational Diabetes and pre-eclampsia at my daughter. The evil diabetes menu was…evil XD

38. Starling December 1, 2016 at 6:23 pm - Reply

Long-time lurker, first-time commenter…

YAY! Congratulations on the healthy (and ridiculously cute) new kiddo.

39. Cheryl 166 December 1, 2016 at 8:38 pm - Reply

Ahh…you and Michelle from Brown Eyed Baker need to get together. Her little boy is just about a month or so older!
    Congrats!

40. Jenn December 1, 2016 at 10:12 pm - Reply

Congratulations!

41. MidModMichelle December 1, 2016 at 11:51 pm - Reply

He is absolutely precious Ruth!!! Congrats to y’all!! I bet you’re sooo excited to get back to your vintage recipes! 😀

42. Godzilaw December 2, 2016 at 2:55 pm - Reply

Aw, congrats – he’s gorgeous!

43. topcat December 2, 2016 at 9:38 pm - Reply

congrats-didn’t even know you were preggers! Lots of love and happiness-hope he is a ginger-they are the best!! xoxo
    P.S.-really love your site, hope you can keep it up

44. Mary December 5, 2016 at 10:43 am - Reply

Congrats on the new arrival! Here’s to more recipes -when you are feeling up to it.

45. nightshade December 5, 2016 at 1:25 pm - Reply

wow ya should of told us we wouldn’t of minded heh I assumed it was just waning interests and other real life things had happened ..like other blogs that have faded away

46. AnitaLotti December 5, 2016 at 6:20 pm - Reply

A little brother – Congratulations!

47. A December 6, 2016 at 1:32 pm - Reply

Congrats! Adorable.

48. Lydia Gilpatrick December 9, 2016 at 2:59 am - Reply

Brings tears to my eyes, so darling

49. Mary December 10, 2016 at 2:57 pm - Reply

Congrats!

50. Brenda December 21, 2016 at 7:42 pm - Reply

He’s quite handsome. I love serious baby faces.

51. Mary Beth January 22, 2017 at 2:12 pm - Reply

I’m super late to the party, but congratulations! Welcome baby TJ! He’s so handsome.