Rhubarb Round Up – Favorites from the Archives

Posted on May 18 2016 - 4:00am by RetroRuth

Since I am hip-deep in rhubarb right now in Michigan, I thought I would do a mini-roundup of great rhubarb recipes from the blog archives!  And I know I’m posting this during fresh rhubarb season, but I’ve also made these all successfully with frozen rhubarb as well!

Rhubarb Meringue Pie

IMG_7325_thumb

This recipe is from Tom’s family and is by far his favorite rhubarb dessert.  It features an oatmeal cookie pie crust.  Yum.

Raspberry Rhubarb Salad

IMG_9044_thumb

This is a fast, easy gelatin dessert that is fabulous with whipped cream!

Lemon Rhubarb Cake

IMG_1997_thumb

This has two variations on one recipe.  You can either use a cake mix or make a cake topping from scratch.  But either way it makes a sweet-tart dessert that has a crunchy marshmallow crust.

Rhubarb Custard Dessert

IMG_4995e_thumb

Even though I just posted this last week, I wanted to update everyone on some variations I’ve made of this dessert.  The first was an apple version, in which I substituted three cups of peeled, chopped apple for the rhubarb.  I also added 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the crumble topping.  I also reduced the amount of sugar in the base and topping because I was using a sweet variety of apple.  I thought this was a good variation, but a bit more dry than the rhubarb version.

I also made a Bluebarb version, in which I substituted a cup of blueberries for a cup of the rhubarb in the recipe and that version was fantastic!  Blueberry and rhubarb is one of my favorite fruit combinations, which I actually discovered in a vintage Farm Journal Cookbook.  (The bluebarb jam recipe I discovered is coming up soon in the posting schedule!)  My mother made a strawberry rhubarb version of this, subbing in one cup of sliced strawberries and she said that was good as well.  So this is a pretty versatile dessert!

What about you guys?  What are your favorite rhubarb recipes?

1. Mim McDonald (@crinolinerobot) May 18, 2016 at 4:36 am - Reply

Crumble! Though rhubarb and ginger jam is nice – not seen very often nowadays.

2. Angela May 18, 2016 at 11:31 am - Reply

I’ve never had rhubarb. But, these desserts look good, maybe I’ll have to try it!

3. Gregg May 18, 2016 at 6:59 pm - Reply

Ruth, what is the name of that groovy china pattern on Rhubarb Custard Dessert?

4. Another Erica May 21, 2016 at 9:17 pm - Reply

My mother often made strawberry-rhubarb sauce; we’d eat it like applesauce, but I guess you could use it over cake or ice cream. Just take one bag of frozen rhubarb and one tub of frozen sweetened, sliced strawberries. Simmer until tender; squash down with a potato masher if desired. Chill. I’ve also made plain rhubarb sauce out of frozen rhubarb, granulated Splenda and a little nutmeg. The recipe is at Taste of Home.

BTW, have you ever checked out the Rhubarb Compendium website? http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/ There’s more about rhubarb there than you’d ever want to know. 😉

Your recipes look great. It’s nice to find other rhubarb lovers out there–my husband can’t stand the stuff!

5. Sarah May 25, 2016 at 9:28 pm - Reply

I also collected vintage cookbooks, mostly WWII/wartime cookbooks that focus on rationing. I should know better by now than to keep buying them, but – they’re so tempting!! 🙂

I just tried an *interesting* 1930s recipe for Banana Rhubarb Pudding. I posted about it on my blog:

I wouldn’t say it’s my favorite, but that Raspberry Rhubarb Gelatin looks awesome! I’m going to have to give that a try!

6. Mary V July 2, 2016 at 7:55 pm - Reply

Gregg, I like that plate too! Also the one with the Raspberry Rhubarb Salad!