Dusty Grasshopper, 1978 – Vintage Cocktail Friday

Posted on Mar 14 2014 - 4:51am by RetroRuth

Sometimes Friday rolls around and you want to make a drink, but you don’t have the right liquor.

And sometimes you want to make a drink, but you don’t have the right COLORED liquor.

And sometimes you say, “Screw it. It’s Friday and I want a drink.”

So, this is a Dusty Grasshopper made with green crème de menthe instead of white crème de menthe.

And I say to you: So what?

4.5 from 4 reviews
Dusty Grasshopper

• 1 jigger brown creme de cacao
  • 1 jigger white creme de menthe
  • 1 jigger heavy cream
  1. Shake well with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

“Yum.”

The Verdict: Delicious

From The Tasting Notes –

As good as if it was made with ice cream and white crème de menthe. Well, maybe not as good, but close.

1. Yinzerella March 14, 2014 at 8:38 am - Reply

Did it taste like a Shamrock shake?

2. Nina March 14, 2014 at 8:50 am - Reply

This cocktail is a real feather in your cap Tom. 🙂

3. Lassie March 14, 2014 at 10:59 am - Reply

You have to have green for St. Patrick’s Day, coming up!

4. Tammy Jo March 14, 2014 at 2:04 pm - Reply

This is one of my FAVORITE cocktails (mid-century or otherwise!) I discovered it on a combination “drink-menu-placemat” combo at an ancient Italian restaurant in Akron, Ohio in the 1980s. Sadly the Iingredient I most find lacking in most restaurants is the white Creme de Cocoa… a dark Creme de Cocoa gives the drink a “muddy” appearance (which may entice an inexperienced bartender to add more creme menthe.) I think the secret to this drink is balance and beauty. If there’s too much mint it’s awful and if there’s too much Creme de Cocoa it may as well be a weak White Russian (seriously?)

5. Amorette March 14, 2014 at 3:55 pm - Reply

I always make my grasshoppers with creme de menthe. It was the way I taught by my parents, who were cocktail party givers back in the 1950s and 1960s.

6. Denita Ruhnow March 14, 2014 at 4:32 pm - Reply

Who cares if it’s green creme de menthe? It’s got that lovely retro turquoise color going for it, and that fits! 😀

7. Steve March 14, 2014 at 4:43 pm - Reply

Off topic, I know, but where does Tom get his seriously cool shirts? Today’s is great.

Why does Grasshopper make me flash to the old Kung Fu tv show?

8. Liz March 14, 2014 at 6:44 pm - Reply

Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!

9. Jen March 14, 2014 at 9:04 pm - Reply

If I recall correctly, Eric Felten (king of cocktails) actually recommends a clear or even dark creme de cocoa, so as to possibly avoid the often dayglo green we often see in the grasshopper. So I’d say you are fine. 🙂

Also, Mom used to make a grasshopper pie when I was a girl…not sure if she put liqueur in it or not, but it was delicious either way! (Hey, sometimes you just want the kids to sleep.)

10. P'Gell April 19, 2014 at 3:13 pm - Reply

Hi, Ruth! Swinging around again to get a good recipe for my Lambie Cake this year. I’m trying the Pope Family Lambie and Bunnie cake. After you fill the greased and floured Lambie mold, add some cocoa powder, (I only had a single TBS left, so I used it, shoulda used more), a TBS sugar and a TBS of oil to the left over batter in the Kitchen Aid and fill your greased and floured Bunny Cake mold!) I forgot to strengthen the bunny’s neck with a bamboo skewer and his head came off when I took him out of the pan too soon. Thank heaven for frosting!

I have a mid century recipe for brownies using this green Creme De Menthe. I can send it to you next week if you’d like,. I’ve made them and they’re good. (You just have to make regular brownies for the little ones.)

Also, my downstairs, semi-mid century bathroom is the EXACT same color of this drink. Too cool. 🙂

I’ll have to remember to send you my finished Lambie Cake pic. And one of the chocolate Bunny cake, too.

I’ve missed you and Tom.

• RetroRuth April 19, 2014 at 4:09 pm - Reply

P’Gell!!! I’ve missed you, too!

Yes, email me pics of your cake AND the brownies. They sound amazing!