Vintage Cocktail Friday – January Resolution, 1940

Posted on Jan 10 2014 - 4:00am by RetroRuth

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Did anyone make any resolutions this year?  We did.

And then, because this is the Mid-Century Menu, we drank them.

5.0 from 1 reviews
January Resolution

• 2 dashes Grenadine
  • ⅓ Noilly Pratt Vermouth
  • ⅔ Golden Wedding Rye or Bourbon
  • Twist of Lemon Peel
  1. Stir with cracked ice. Strain and serve in cocktail glass.

“Call Mr. Plow, That’s my name, That name again is Mr. Plow!”

“How is it?”

“Eh, it’s drinkable.”

The Verdict: Drinkable.

From The Tasting Notes:

Just enough sweetness in this drink to mellow the whiskey. Definitely not something I would drink every day, but drinkable. Would be better with something to eat, like cheese.

1. Yinzerella January 10, 2014 at 10:21 am - Reply

Everything is better with cheese. :)

• Sneaky Burrito January 10, 2014 at 5:22 pm - Reply

Everything IS better with cheese.

Seriously though, I just found this blog the other day and I’m enjoying it a lot. Haven’t yet seen a single thing I would eat (although my mom totally has the old Betty Crocker cookbook and there is some good stuff in it), but thanks for the entertainment!

2. Libby January 11, 2014 at 2:21 pm - Reply

OMG I have to know where your husband got his shirt! The Hubby is Simpson’s obsessed and his 50th birthday is coming up ;)

• RetroRuth January 11, 2014 at 8:38 pm - Reply

Hey Libby!
      We got it from Threadless, they have some awesome Simpsons shirts right now. But make sure you order one size up in their shirts. Tom is normally an athletic medium, and the shirt he has on is a large, and it is still a bit tight! They shrink like crazy in the wash.

3. Ann January 13, 2014 at 11:07 am - Reply

I know it is too late for the gift-giving holidays, but if Tom doesn’t already have it, I’d recommend the book “Imbibe.” One of the things we have discovered from the book – and later tried for verification ;) – is that some of the vintage brand liquors have a different flavor and texture and it can make a difference in the drink.

4. Ruth January 14, 2014 at 1:35 am - Reply

What is with that hat!! That. Is. Awesome. Love the hat, Tom.

5. Samantha January 16, 2014 at 6:05 pm - Reply

Haha, I bought that exact same shirt for my husband for christmas!