Old Fashioned, 1977 – Vintage Cocktail Friday

Posted on Jan 31 2014 - 4:43am by RetroRuth

Happy Friday! Let’s have a drink!

4.5 from 2 reviews

Old Fashioned

• 1 lump sugar
  • 1 dash Angostura bitters
  • 1½ jiggers blended whiskey
  1. Place sugar lump in Old Fashioned glass and sprinkle with bitters; if desired, add dash of water and mull.
  2. Fill glass with ice; pour in whiskey. Garnish with lemon twist, orange slice, and maraschino cherry.

This is a whiskey Old Fashioned cocktail that goes with the Old-Fashioned Indoor Weenie Roast that we posted on Wednesday. If you are afraid of lighting vegetables on fire and then roasting hot dogs on them, we recommend making cocktails to consume while you are doing it. It takes away the fear.

I am kind of just horrified I wrote that. Seriously, don’t drink to excess and light vegetables on fire. We are just kidding.

“How is it?”

“Tastes like an Old Fashioned.”

The Verdict: Good, but Strong

From The Tasting Notes:

As all native Wisconsinites, normally when I make an Old Fashioned I make it sweet (sometimes sour) with brandy. Regardless, this is a classic drink. Good, but strong. If I was making this again, I would probably add 7-UP  and maybe add some brandy. Oh wait… maybe I would just make a brandy old fashioned sweet instead.

1. Lassie January 31, 2014 at 11:53 am - Reply

I guess I’m the first to post the obligatory “Mad Men” reference: “Don Draper drinks Old-Fashioneds on Mad Men all the time!” lol! I haven’t had whiskey in decades, but I might buy one of those little airline bottles at the checkout counter, at the liquor store. Just for a taste of the past.

2. Jenn Hubbard January 31, 2014 at 5:35 pm - Reply

Old-fashioneds always make me think of the movie “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.” I think they were what put the pilot of Mickey Rooney and Buddy Hackett’s plane out of commission.

3. Jennifer Barnaby February 1, 2014 at 4:07 am - Reply

Well, forget the cocktail. What about the indoor weannie

4. Jennifer Barnaby February 1, 2014 at 4:10 am - Reply

Oops! I meant to say….an indoor weannie … roast? That’s something I’m going to have to try.

5. Maureen February 1, 2014 at 1:34 pm - Reply

Old Fashioned were my grandma’s drink-she would order one-ONLY one, when we would go out to eat. Whenever I hear this drink’s name, I think of her. She was so cute, even at parties she would just have the one drink, because any more than that? She would be tipsy!

6. Patrick M. February 12, 2014 at 12:25 pm - Reply

As a fellow native Wisconsinite, I am horrified that you did not identify the correct garnish for a sweet brandy old fashioned as olives. Green olives. With pimientos. And don’t forget the Gardetto bread sticks and Kaukauna Klub horseradish cheese spread!

• RetroRuth February 12, 2014 at 12:48 pm - Reply

Uhhh…I think you mean Port Wine cheese spread! :)