Vintage Kitchen Kitsch on eBay

Posted on Aug 3 2013 - 5:00am by RetroRuth

This week Snow White sells us dairy products, mock turtle soup is rolled up in beef, you can dial-a-drink, and Veg-All and Velveeta finally get together! In an omelet!

Vintage 1955 Walt Disney Snow White Dairy Recipe Book American Dairy Association

Snow White

Snow White III

Snow White IV

Why I Want This: This is fantastic. And if you love vintage cooking AND Disney, you are probably peeing your pants right now. What’s even better is the seller has scanned almost (?) the entire book! So even if you don’t buy it, you can go over and snag some of the recipes right now.

1941 Campbell’s Condensed Soups Recipe Cook Book

Easy Ways to Good Meals

Easy Ways To Good Meals II

Easy Ways To Good Meals III

Why I Want This: Ham and Egg Shortcake AND Beef Roll with Mock Turtle Sauce! (Curious about Mock Turtle Soup? Head over here for more info!)

Breast – O – Chicken Finer Tuna Fish Recipe Booklet

Breast-o-Chicken

Breast-o-Chicken II

Why I Want This: That gelatin on the cover is calling my name!

1963 Vintage General Electric Guide to Gracious Entertaining

Guide to Gracious Entertaining

Why I Want This: Such an elegant party, brought to you by small appliances. Question: What is the toast for?

Shields dial-a drink 6 PC STAINLESS STEEL Bar Set

Dial A Drink

Dial A Drink II

Why I Want This: I’m sort of obsessed with these bar goodies that have recipes in them!

“Welcome Stranger…Fine and Unusual Recipes..1960-70’s

Welcome Stranger

Welcome Stranger II

Why I Want This: You had me at “Fine and Unusual Recipes”. Also, are those spirals holding the book together bakelite? Hello!

Star Veg-All Recipes by America’s Cooking Stars

Star Veg-All

Star Veg-All II

Star Veg-All III

Why I Want This:  I can’t think of anything more disgusting than a Veg-All omelet. Well, I can’t think of anything more disgusting than that at right this moment. And when did Veg-All stop coming with the layers of veggies separated by parchment?

Sweetheart Recipes and Salad Recipes

Salad Recipes

Salad Recipes II

Why I Want This: You get two recipe books for the price of one in this listing, and while Sweetheart Recipes looks very cute, Salad Recipes is where it is at! Thirty pages of gelatin recipes??? YES!

Hope you enjoyed this week’s picks! If you don’t want the eBay fun to end, head over to my other blog to see more mid-century goodies!

*Disclaimer: No Pattern Required is part of the eBay Partner Network, and that means that when you click on our eBay links we may earn a very small commission.

1. perdita August 3, 2013 at 6:44 am - Reply

I want all of these for my collection! All my UK books are rather worthy due to rationing (and actually not disgusting in that jello way, just boring… Mostly ‘natural’ veg casseroles, cabbage, carrot, limited meat etc’ -quite low cal!). I need some KITSCH in my mid century books!

• RetroRuth August 4, 2013 at 1:22 pm - Reply

I know what you mean! I have a couple of UK books sent by a thoughtful reader, and they are exactly as you have described.

If you ever want to swap some books, let me know! I have lots of extra copies of kitsch laying around!

2. kate August 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm - Reply

Thanks for the heads up! The Snow White book is mine!!!

• RetroRuth August 4, 2013 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Woot!!! Go kate! I am SO glad you got it!

• David August 4, 2013 at 5:21 pm - Reply

That’s awesome… Good for you… but I love Disney about as much as I love creepy subliminals and MK-Ultra mind control. But good for you!

3. Kim Campbell August 4, 2013 at 10:36 am - Reply

OMG, Veg-All, gag. My mom makes Mac and cheese with diced hot dog and veg-all. I am the only one who hates it. How can you ruin perfectly good mac and cheese (or hot dogs for that matter). My uncle loves it too.

• RetroRuth August 4, 2013 at 1:24 pm - Reply

Oh my god, yuck! That was probably some Veg-All recipe from an advertisement or something…maybe even in this very book!

• David August 4, 2013 at 5:18 pm - Reply

I actually LOVE mac and cheese with bias-cut franks. But they’ve gotta be steamed first before baking… and they’ve gotta be… NATHAN’S (nothing but the best greasy, salty, smoky goodness on my table)!

4. Kari S August 4, 2013 at 11:30 am - Reply

What’s more disgusting than a Veg-All omelet? A Veg-All and Velveeta omelet! Eek!

• RetroRuth August 4, 2013 at 1:24 pm - Reply

I know, right??? YUCK!

• David August 4, 2013 at 5:09 pm - Reply

Oh my God, that sounds so gross!

• David August 4, 2013 at 5:14 pm - Reply

On another note, that tomato macaroni casserole sounds delish. I’m going to make it.

Oh, and you’ve GOTTA love… “BREAST ‘O CHICKEN… The Finer Tuna”! Was this where Chicken of the Sea got its start?

“Yes, Jessica Simpson… Chicken of the Sea is TUNA. That’s right… TUNA. Not chicken”.

“OOOooohhhhh!”

• RetroRuth August 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm - Reply

I’m making that one, too, David!

5. cat January 14, 2014 at 9:00 am - Reply

Found you at random, have been looking through the site — going to have a MCMenu dinner party! Wanted to add the note: Veg-All, FreshLike and Layer-Pak were all different lines of pre-cut, pre-packed veggies made by The Larsen Company (which I *think* is now called BirdsEye).

Veg-All never used the parchment — just the Layer-Pak line did!