Scarlett O’Hara, 1941 – Vintage Cocktail Friday

Posted on Aug 23 2013 - 6:08am by RetroRuth

You know, for a guy who doesn’t care for whiskey, Tom has sure been drinking a lot of it lately!

This is the Scarlett O’Hara, from my recent eBay score from 1941, a wooden drink book called “Here’s How”.

It seriously has the BEST illustrations. And as soon as I pick up another bottle of curacao, we are going to be making the Rhett Buttler!

5.0 from 1 reviews
Scarlett O'Hara

• 1 jigger of bourbon
  • 1 lime (juice only)
  • ¼ peach, canned and dyed red (or red food coloring)
  1. Place all ingredients along with a quantity of crushed ice in the blender. Blend until thoroughly frapped and serve in a saucer champagne glass.

We didn’t have regular canned peaches, so we made do with spiced peaches. But since this drink is named after a Southern belle, I think we can get away with it. Just this once.

We also didn’t have a “saucer champagne” glass, so we had to make due with a regular one!

Impressed by the insane red color of the drink? Yeah, all I had on hand was my hardcore red food coloring for frostings, so it ended up very, very red.

“Is it good?”

“Actually, yeah. It’s pretty refreshing. And very, very, red.”

“Sorry.”

The Verdict: Refreshing

From the Tasting Notes:

Surprisingly refreshing, and didn’t end up tasting like canned peaches, which is what I was afraid of. Had almost a tropical flavor and was very nice blended with the ice, especially on a hot day.

1. Yinzerella August 23, 2013 at 8:29 am - Reply

The look on the baby’s face is priceless.
    Love the swanky shirt!

• RetroRuth August 23, 2013 at 11:14 pm - Reply

Isn’t she a goof? :) And that is one of his favorites!

• Lassie August 27, 2013 at 9:47 am - Reply

Yes, baby and shirt are wonderful!

I guess the red food coloring is to make it the ‘Scarlett’ part.

The Rhett Butler calls for a blender and shaved ice? That doesn’t seem historically correct :-) I think Rhett would have been knocking back straight bourbon or mint juleps, hold the ice.

2. Cristina August 23, 2013 at 9:26 am - Reply

This drink looks good! I have the same book, I must look through it again!

• RetroRuth August 23, 2013 at 11:15 pm - Reply

Isn’t it a great book? We love it!

• Cristina August 25, 2013 at 10:27 pm - Reply

Yes I love that book! Haven’t looked through it in awhile, it is really unique. I found mine in an antique store. I love the wood cover!

3. Patrick M. August 23, 2013 at 10:18 am - Reply

I guarantee that some blogger will be re-posting your photo of those “Sweet Memory Peaches” 50ish years from now.

• RetroRuth August 23, 2013 at 11:15 pm - Reply

Ha! You know it!

4. Charmaine August 23, 2013 at 10:31 am - Reply

This is one of my favorite cocktails, but “mine” is made with lime, Southern Comfort and cranberry juice. So tasty!

• RetroRuth August 23, 2013 at 11:15 pm - Reply

I have heard of that version, Charmaine! It does sound really good!

• DrJulieAnn August 24, 2013 at 11:31 am - Reply

This is my “signature” cocktail! It goes down waaayyyy tooo easily!

I found the recipe in an old bar book that seemed to have gotten lost during the move a year ago from California to Central Illinois. Fortunately, it’s such an easy recipe and I know it by heart from having to give it to bartenders all of the time!

I may try Ruth’s recipe just to compare.

5. Lacey August 23, 2013 at 10:43 am - Reply

This ones sounds good! And Tom’s shirt is perfect for cocktail Friday!. :-)

• RetroRuth August 23, 2013 at 11:16 pm - Reply

I know, right? It was a good choice!

6. dkzody August 23, 2013 at 2:35 pm - Reply

Did you make Tom dress for the photo-shoot? It’s a perfect look for the drink, which also sounds very good even though I’m a gin girl, not bourbon.

• RetroRuth August 23, 2013 at 11:17 pm - Reply

Ha! Nope, Tom dressed himself for this one. Probably couldn’t hold back on the shirt anymore. It’s one of his favs. We got it in Hawaii from a place that sold repop shirt designs from the 1950′s!

7. Ruth August 24, 2013 at 1:03 am - Reply

Don’t know about that really red drink–but that little lap sitter is a definite cutie!