Absinthe Frappe, 1941 – Vintage Cocktail Friday

Posted on Aug 30 2013 - 6:33am by RetroRuth

It’s Friday and you know what that means! Time for vintage cocktails!

This week we are making a cocktail with absinthe, perhaps Tom’s favorite drink. Well, it’s a toss up between that and Courvoisier.

4.0 from 1 reviews

Absinthe Frappe

• 1 teaspoon Benedictine
  • 1 pony (shot) Absinthe
  • 1 wineglass water
  1. Fill mixing glass with shaved ice and add ingredients. Shake until outside of the glass is frosted, then strain into 6 oz glass.

To make this drink I made a special trip to the liquor store to pick up something I had never actually heard of before, but was mentioned quite a bit in the 1941 cocktail book, Here’s How: Benedictine.

According to the bottle, Benedictine is flavored by a blend of 27 herbs and spices. Which sounds very impressive, unless you are like me and after you read it the first thing that pops into your head is that Kentucky Fried Chicken line “with its secret blend of 11 herbs and spices”.  All of a sudden all I could think about was chicken.

Probably not what they were going for, but there it is.

Not that Tom cares. He is just excited that he gets to drink absinthe for the blog.

“Is it good?”

“It is great. I love it.”

“Does it taste like chicken?”

“What?”

“Nothing, nevermind. I am glad it tastes good.”

The Verdict: Great!

From The Tasting Notes:

If you like Absinthe, you should definitely try this drink. It tastes like a French pour of Absinthe, but with Benedictine instead of sugar. The Benedictine gave it a distinct depth of flavor that was delicious.

1. Dan August 30, 2013 at 8:30 am - Reply

Absinthe! You’re very bohemian today!

2. Tom August 30, 2013 at 10:52 am - Reply

If your Tom likes cognac / brandy, you should take the Benedictine and try a B&B. It’s a very simple 50/50 mix of Benedictine and your choice of brandy (or cognac), usually served neat. You can get it pre-mixed from the same distillery that made your bottle of Benedictine, but since you already have straight Benedictine, you may as well use a nicer brandy.

3. Andrea August 30, 2013 at 11:31 am - Reply

Ooooh, this one is definitely going on my must try list!

4. Lassie August 30, 2013 at 1:58 pm - Reply

I just LOVE B&B, haven’t had it in years. Maybe I should get some…seems odd to be drinking it in hot summer, though.

5. Amy August 30, 2013 at 3:06 pm - Reply

Perfect! looks like he’s enjoying it. Wonder if it tastes like zambucca?

6. Jenee Libby August 30, 2013 at 6:29 pm - Reply

YUMMY YUM YUM! Absinthe is my favorite as well…I’ll be heading to the liquor store tomorrow to try this one! And cheaper than buying a fountain ;)

7. Cathy August 31, 2013 at 11:53 am - Reply

Your husband is a real trooper! I think you found your perfect match with him. He deserves the “Mid-Century Modern Husband of the Year” award : )
    The drink sounds wonderful, but the thought of KFC would definitely put a damper on it. Love the glasses you are serving it in.
    Thanks for sharing your fun blog : )

8. perdita August 31, 2013 at 4:00 pm - Reply

Oh no! Now I’m gonna think of KFC whenever I drink benedictine! If only they made little bucket-style glasses!

9. tam francis August 31, 2013 at 7:14 pm - Reply

YUM! I will try this recipe at my next soiree! I even have vintage barware similar. Gorgeous pix BTW! I hope you’re sharing them on Pinterest! I will :) I also blog, but mostly about swing dancing at girlinthejitterbugdress.com (also it’s all about my fiction novel ;)