If you are looking for a lovely lamb cake with a soft, light texture and a great crumb, then I suggest this cake!
This recipe came from a 1968 issue of Mail Box News from Maid of Scandinavia, and it is excellent.
Look at how delicious this looks! The cake is moist with a good level of sweetness. It is also the most “cake-like” of all the lamb cakes we made.
- 1 cup butter
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks and 2 whole eggs
- 3 cups AP flour
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp almond extract (optional)
- Blend butter, sugar, eggs and egg yolks until creamy.
- Sift together dry ingredients, add them to the batter alternately with milk mixed with flavoring.
- Bake in lamb mold for 55 mins at 350 degrees. Bake extra cupcakes at 350 degrees for 25 mins.
This paired very well with Fluffy Frosting, which is a sort of shortcut buttercream. You can see above how fluffy the frosting turned out, and it went really well with coconut, even though you could totally serve it without. If you use unpasteurized egg whites for the frosting, make sure you cook your frosting to 160 degrees before you remove it from the stove.