Cocoa Creamy Rice – A Mid-Century Recipe Test

Posted on Feb 1 2012 - 6:11am by RetroRuth

Well, we have another dessert on the Mid-Century recipe this week because, well…I didn’t feel like making anything gross.

So, you can imagine how upset I was when Tom requested rice pudding.

Okay, okay. You can stop yelling. I get it. You love rice pudding. I, however, hate the stuff. And tapioca pudding. It’s a texture thing, mostly.  I HATE firm chunks of things in pudding.  And in ice cream. It doesn’t matter if they are grains of rice or chocolate chips, when I come across them I just want to spit them out.

But, I also love Tom and he eats a lot of crummy stuff for this blog. So, when he asked me to make Cocoa Creamy Rice, I told him the only answer I could give him. The conversation when something like this:

“Look! Chocolate rice pudding! Why don’t we make this for the Menu?”

“No.”

75 Glamorous Rice Dishes001

“Please?”

“No.”

75 Glamorous Rice Dishes002

“But it’s chocolate.”

“I don’t care.”

“It will be interesting to see what it tastes like.”

“I can tell you right now what it’s going to taste like: Garbage.”

“I eat American Cheese all the time for you, and I hate American Cheese.”

Silence.

“Also, I love you.”

I threw up my hands. “Fine! I’ll make the stupid pudding!”

And the making of Cocoa Creamy Rice began.

And then ended. It turns out that Cocoa Creamy Rice isn’t very photogenic, and also doesn’t have a lot of steps to it.

Which is fine with me.

But it did turn out sort of pretty, so at least it has that going for it.

Even if the consistency wasn’t quite right.

“What is the matter with it? It looks watery.”

“Yeah, that’s my fault. The only kind of rice we had was long grain rice.”

He shook his head.

IMG_7444IMG_7448IMG_7453

“So? Is it everything you ever dreamed?”

“It’s chewy.”

“Yeah, that’s the rice.”

“It tastes like chewy rice in hot chocolate.”

“Ew.”

The Verdict: Meh. Probably would have been better if I would have used medium grain rice.  The chocolate part was actually good.  It tasted like really good hot chocolate. With chewy, chewy rice in it. If it would have thickened properly with the proper rice it probably would have been great. For someone who likes rice pudding, that is.

1. Sara In AZ February 1, 2012 at 9:38 am - Reply

HA! Chewy rice in hot chocolate, yuck. I’m with you girl, rice should NOT be involved in any sort of dessert! 🙂

• RetroRuth February 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm - Reply

I know, right?? There is just something gross about it!

2. Eartha Kitsch February 1, 2012 at 11:00 am - Reply

Well, at least it was easy and a quick clean-up? I’m still unsure that it’s “glamorous” though. But good on you for doing that for Tom!

• Sean February 1, 2012 at 12:08 pm - Reply

I am intrigued by that cookbook cover – Is that a molded ring of rice in the upper left corner? Please tell me it doesn’t contain gelatin to hold it together…Jell-O and rice….. I can’t believe I just used both those words in the same sentence.

• RetroRuth February 1, 2012 at 12:46 pm - Reply

Yes, it is a rice ring and no, it doesn’t have gelatin. Be comforted by the fact that those two things haven’t been on this blog together.

Yet.

• RetroRuth February 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Yes, I was happy it was a fast cooking and clean-up! And it totally wasn’t glamorous. In fact, not a single recipe in the book is glamorous. Not. At. All.

3. Andrea February 1, 2012 at 12:09 pm - Reply

Normally, I am a lover of rice pudding, however chewy rice in hot chocolate sounds more than a little alarming!

• RetroRuth February 1, 2012 at 12:45 pm - Reply

It was bizarre!

4. Erica February 2, 2012 at 10:38 am - Reply

Sounds like not enough fat, not enough cook time, AND wrong kind of rice — just doomed to fail all around. Sorry Tom! 🙂

5. Charlotte February 2, 2012 at 8:57 pm - Reply

I don’t think I’ve seen the words “glamorous” and “rice” together until now!

6. llamalluv March 31, 2012 at 10:32 am - Reply

That looks like my great grandmother’s chocolate gravy, over rice. (But her gravy also includes a few Tablespoons of flour and butter). From your husband’s description of the chewy rice, it sounds like your rice was too firm.