Scotch Eggs and Pure’ Madrileno – A Mid-Century Recipe Test

Posted on Jan 4 2012 - 6:06am by RetroRuth

Holy Cow, it’s 2012. I can’t believe it. Can you? I mean, I had just gotten used to 2011 when 2012 jumps into my lap and expects to get it’s ears scratched.

But Tom and I had a whopper of a New Year’s Eve party to ring in 2012. And by “party” I mean it was just the two of us. And by “whopper” I mean we went to bed at 1o:oo p.m. I had to put those quantifiers in there just in case my sister is reading this and writes in the comments that I am a big fat liar.

Just kidding. I know my sister would never do anything like that. And by “that” I mean “read this blog”.

Ah! It’s Scotch Eggs!

You might recognize this shot if you follow the FB page for the Mid-Century Menu. If not, this is our spread from New Year’s! You can see the Scotch Eggs in my ultra-cool Danish Modern serving tray, which I was excited to use. The silver bowl is full of Pure’ Madrileno.

We found this recipes in an astonishing book called Worldly Entertaining Party Ideas From Around The World (Love that name! Not just world, but worldly world!) which was put out in a blazing moment of genius by Lipton.

Worldly Entertaining001

In it they claim you can easily recreate foods from around the world by adding dried soup mix to a variety of random food.

Scotch Eggs001

Of course, we were all over this idea.

Pure Madrileno001

In fact, we planned our whole “party” around it.

And it wouldn’t be a party without a bowl of raw meat!

Just a note: I couldn’t find tomato cup of soup in my store, so I used condensed tomato soup and omitted the extra water.

I would like to say that I was gazing down at this egg and thinking about how it was a good metaphor for rebirth in the new year, but all I was thinking about was how cold and slimy the sausage was, what a pain it was going to be to wrap it around the egg. On top of that, the whole time I was harping at Tom to hurry up and take the picture.

You know, maybe that’s the metaphor for the new year. Huh.

Kind of adorable, I think.

Or maybe that’s all the soup talking.

“This is going to be awesome. I drizzled tomato-soup glaze over them!”

“Huzzah.”

He’s trying not to laugh.

IMG_7197IMG_7199IMG_7210

“So?”

“Actually, these are pretty good. They taste a little like Scotch Eggs.”

How worldly!

And then, it was on to the Madrileno.

I forgot to take a picture of making this, but there wasn’t much to it. I just threw everything into the blender and mixed it up. Nothing special, except I got to eat the rest of the Lipton Onion Dip when I was done.

*Yoink*

“Don’t look at the camera!  4th wall!”

“Why not?”

“I don’t know! Just don’t!”

IMG_7229IMG_7231IMG_7240

“It’s good.”

“What do you mean, ‘It’s good’ ?” It’s onion dip and chickpeas for cripes-sake.”

“Look, just try it. It’s good.”

I grabbed a pita chip and dunked it in. “Oh my god, this IS good.”

“See?”

The Verdict:

Scotch Eggs – Good! Tasted like scotch eggs. I used nice, crunchy breadcrumbs for the outside, which made them nice and crispy without frying. I thought that the tomato soup glaze at the end would ruin them, but it actually was pretty yummy. I guess Lipton shows me!

Pure’ Madrileno – Actually good! I was shocked. It tasted like onion dip hummus. I am actually really excited about this one, because we LOVE onion dip, but try not to eat a lot of it. Now maybe I won’t feel so guilty if we make it this way once and awhile.

Soup-tastic AND worldly!

1. Yinzerella January 4, 2012 at 8:25 am - Reply

Looks great. You 2 had a very similar new year’s eve to mine.
    I never knew that the sour cream and onion dip was called “California Dip” until this past week. They did a whole history of it in the Unofficial Mad Men cookbook. Who knew that the history of something a housewife in CA randomly threw together would be so fascinating.

• RetroRuth January 4, 2012 at 10:37 am - Reply

To bad we don’t live closer. We could have had our “parties” together.

I am kind of excited about the Mad Men Cookbook. Is it good?

2. ae January 4, 2012 at 8:52 am - Reply

We just had California dip the other day. Didn’t know it had a name either. We just say sour cream with onion soup mix. Will definitely try adding the chick peas. I always forget to look for tahini and then when I do find it, Thanks! My Tom may not thank you for it, though. Don’t know if messing with the classic will fly.

• RetroRuth January 4, 2012 at 10:39 am - Reply

Oh, he will like it. It isn’t as good as the original straight sour cream, but it is actually better than the store brands of hummus I’ve had!

3. Charlotte January 4, 2012 at 9:13 am - Reply

Hmm, I could imagine the Madrileno being good. It sort of sounds like hummus with some zing!

• RetroRuth January 4, 2012 at 10:39 am - Reply

Yep! Exactly!

4. Rebecca January 4, 2012 at 12:27 pm - Reply

Huh…I was a little scared when the recipe for the Scotch eggs got to the tomato soup part. hmmm might have to try it.

Is that a bottle of Delirium Tremen on the table….

• RetroRuth January 4, 2012 at 4:26 pm - Reply

Yep! 😛

5. Sara In AZ January 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm - Reply

I never knew dried soup mix was so worldly and versatile! 🙂

I will totally have to try that hummus type recipe!

• RetroRuth January 4, 2012 at 4:26 pm - Reply

I know, Sara! Dried soup mix is really surprising that way!

6. Sarah January 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm - Reply

It’s me…. your sister!! Reading your blog!!! Mwuah!

• RetroRuth January 4, 2012 at 4:27 pm - Reply

Hooray!!! Seester! You DO read my blog!!! :}

7. Annie B. January 4, 2012 at 3:29 pm - Reply

Sounds like a winner to me – the dip, that is. Those eggs make me squeamish.

• RetroRuth January 4, 2012 at 4:28 pm - Reply

Yeah, Annie, they made me a little squeamish, too. They tasted good, but I have to say that Tom ate most of them. After awhile the sausage got to me.

8. Mia January 4, 2012 at 4:54 pm - Reply

I just adore your blog!

• RetroRuth January 4, 2012 at 5:38 pm - Reply

Thanks, Mia!

9. Danielle February 1, 2012 at 9:44 am - Reply

I made the Madrileno recipe last weekend. It was fantastic. I love chip dip and I love hummus – who knew they would go so well together?

• RetroRuth February 1, 2012 at 10:08 am - Reply

Yay! Glad you liked it Danielle! My favorite part of the recipe (besides the taste, of course) is how easy it is!