Spaghetti With Eggs

Posted on Mar 16 2011 - 6:33am by RetroRuth

Mueller Tested Recipes001

Whew. How’s your week been? Here at the Mid-Century Menu, things have been a little crazy. Maybe it is spring, or a full moon or something, but things here have just been going wrong left and right.   I am just glad that we got the computer back.  We got the same virus TWICE in one week. Can you believe that??

Anyway, after all the craziness, it just seemed too much to come up with a disgusting Mid-Century Menu. So we just decided to go with something that was unusual.

This week’s Menu comes from Mueller’s Tested & Proven Recipes, published in 1930. This is the cookbook that brought us Macaroni with Peanut Butter, which was gross and weird. But I am ever optimistic.  I knew that Mueller’s needed a second chance.  And this was a great week for second chances.  After all, the virus took over our computer even faster the second time around!

I know. Nice, huh?

Mueller Tested Recipes002

Anyway, I thought Spaghetti and Eggs looked intriguing. Almost like inside-out mac & cheese. Or, deconstructed macaroni and cheese, if you want to be all fancy.

And thanks to Tom, who cut down an old egg carton so my eggs wouldn’t roll all over the counter and smash on the floor.

Which has happened before while I’ve been taking pictures.

As an even bigger twist to this dish, I served it for brunch, which I thought was kind of fun.

So, it is really hard to get spaghetti into a custard cup. Can you see the little rogue one in the background?

I got the hang of it after the first three, and started twisting it around the fork before trying to jam it into a cup.

Making white sauce, which is the backbone of ALL mid-century cooking.

How do you like the double-boiler??? It’s a recent gift (thanks, Ma!) after she noticed me cooking without it on the blog.

Yeah, sometimes this blog is good for more than ranting.

A rare picture in which my kitchen floor is actually clean!

Melting the cheese into the sauce, which didn’t want to melt for some reason.  That is what I get for using cheap cheese.

You know, this actually looks kind of good!

Fresh from the oven, and plated with grapefruit.

IMG_4332IMG_4335

Tom, digging in to his breakfast.

“So, is it good?”

IMG_4340IMG_4342

“Wait…where are you going?”

“Pepper. It needs tons of pepper.”

The Verdict: Good. The eggs that weren’t completely cooked through tasted the best with the spaghetti, but that probably is a matter of taste.  It was different and fun, and, as the recipe recommends, it would be a great recipe for kids. Especially for breakfast, to shake things up!

1. h311ybean March 16, 2011 at 7:37 am - Reply

This reminds me a lot of the spaghetti timbales you made before, except a bit less fancy. Actually, if a spaghetti timbale had a love child with a coddled egg, this could be the result :-p

(And I swear I was wondering whether you were going to have trouble putting the noodles in the containers, even before I read through the post. It’s not that I’m psychic, it’s that it happened when you made the timbales, too! Is it now painfully obvious that I’ve paid quite a bit of attention to what happens in this blog? :D)

• RetroRuth March 16, 2011 at 9:34 am - Reply

Yes! It was very much like the spaghetti timbales! Oh no – maybe I am starting to repeat myself. :)

• h311ybean March 16, 2011 at 5:27 pm - Reply

No worries – they weren’t the exact same dish! :)

2. Charlotte March 16, 2011 at 9:20 am - Reply

I figured this one would turn out well, because there is a great restaurant in Chicago called Deleece that serves a breakfast pasta. It’s not quite the same thing, but a similar concept – eggs are scrambled into spaghetti along with goat cheese and sundried tomatoes. It’s surprisingly good.

• RetroRuth March 16, 2011 at 9:36 am - Reply

Yum! That sounds really good, Charlotte. I think that some Italian frittatas are made with pasta in them, too, so I wasn’t too nervous about this one, either. It is nice to make something unusual but not scary after a bad week. :)

3. Sara In AZ March 16, 2011 at 12:14 pm - Reply

Hey, I was supposed to get those darn spaghetti timbales — and the someone (who shall remain nameless) got sick! :)

Yay! The floor is clean, the eggs didn’t roll off and break, and this was good!!! Maybe I should give this one a try???

• RetroRuth March 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm - Reply

Sara! You should try this one, it was actually good. And I will still make those timbales for you some day! I swears! :)

4. Toni March 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm - Reply

Love your cupboards and floor!

• RetroRuth March 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm - Reply

Thanks, Toni!

5. Leslie March 16, 2011 at 7:13 pm - Reply

We so enjoy seeing each new and terrible dish! My Dearest Husband is convinced that you will one day “do in” your DH Tom and eagerly awaits each Wednesday to make sure Tom has survived.
    Keep up the great work…er, cooking…well, maybe not great….but loads of fun!

6. Andrea March 17, 2011 at 1:25 am - Reply

Hmmm … this one I may have to try! Older daughter is a vegetarian, this would actually be a pretty good meat free supper dish!

7. Jenny (VintageSugarcube) March 17, 2011 at 5:49 pm - Reply

That’s my kinda breakfast! And that’s one lucky hubby you have… :)