The Mid-Century Menu Featured in the Midland Daily News

Posted on Jul 20 2009 - 3:36pm by RetroRuth

Ham Loaf 016More exciting news!  The Mid-Century Menu featuring the None-Such Ham Loaf is in the Accent section of the Midland Daily News today. Hopefully, this won’t be the last Mid-Century Menu that appears in the paper, either.  Depending on the interest level, I might get to contribute some more!

Thanks again to Lori and Pam for giving me this fun opportunity to share the delightful horror that is the Mid-Century Menu.  Here’s to great times and terrible recipes!  Wanna slice of ham loaf??

1. Sara in AZ July 20, 2009 at 5:20 pm - Reply

OMG Ruth, that is so totally cool. You (and Tom) are famous now!!!! That would be fantastic if you could start contributing the mid-century menu to the newspaper all the time. I think people would really get a kick out of it. I know Sable and I do! Great job Ruth. 🙂

Sable – We will be able to say we knew Ruth before she was famous! 😉

2. Carol July 20, 2009 at 6:06 pm - Reply

Thought I was going to finally find a recipe in the MDN that sounded like it might be good – thought your description of eating it with catsup was really funny! I have lots of old recipes I have saved from the Peoria paper and the Kansas City Star over the years, but have never found more than a handful in this paper that I have saved. Enjoyed your column and think it would be a good one for them to run.

3. Carol Bentley July 20, 2009 at 6:58 pm - Reply

Enjoyed the article about your new home in Sunday’s Midland Daily News which I know well. My good friend Diane was the former owner and I live about a block away from you. Glad you’re enjoying that beautiful home.

About this recipe in the paper today: Good writing but why not give us some recipes that are actually tasty and worth the effort? — what a waste of space! Looking forward to reading more of your articles but am always looking for a GOOD recipe!

4. Sara in AZ July 20, 2009 at 8:44 pm - Reply

Carol Bentley – That is the point of her trying out the different recipes, to find one that is actually good (you never know until you try it), and it doesn’t mean you can’t have some fun along the way! She is trying to find us good midcentury recipes! And, I for one, think the midcentury meals are a nice break from the everyday ‘ho-hum’ recipe. Great job Ruth! Keep up the good work.

5. sablemable July 20, 2009 at 9:00 pm - Reply

There’s nothing like a good dose of humor to make one’s day, and Ruth’s MC menus are designed to do just that, nothing more. I come here every Wednesday, a faithful follower, to laugh until tears run down my face from Ruth’s comedic spin on preparing such a horror. Lighten up.

6. sablemable July 20, 2009 at 9:06 pm - Reply

LOL, Sara! Ah, yes, we knew her when.

LOL!

7. RetroRuth July 21, 2009 at 1:23 pm - Reply

Carol – Thanks for coming by and leaving a comment! I am glad the article entertained you, and maybe next time they will pick something a little more edible from my experiments!

Carol Bentley – Glad you liked the writing on the article. The Mid-Century Menu came out of my desire to try all the unique and wacky recipes that I found in my vintage cookbooks. It was a great time in our history for new and exciting products, methods and timesavers. This mania even extended to the kitchen, where people were trying things they had never tried before, like partially prepped or foreign foods. That is the kind of spirit the column was intended in, and so not every experiment or recipe is a success. I wouldn’t call it a waste of space, but I would call it fun, quirky, unusual and novel! If you want to check out some recipes that were good, check out the Meatloaf Nests and Bologna Papooses in the archives.

Sara and Sable, thanks for your support guys! I am so thrilled you love the posts, and I hope you keep coming back for more. Knowing you guys are waiting for a great post makes every bite of Eggs Oriental taste like a gourmet meal! 🙂

8. sablemable July 21, 2009 at 2:43 pm - Reply

Tomorrow’s Wednesday, hurray, hurray, yippee-skippee!!!!!!!!

9. Sara in AZ July 21, 2009 at 5:59 pm - Reply

Ruth – I would never miss your MCM recipes, I love them. Thanks for giving all of us a laugh, and maybe a great recipe along the way. 😉

10. sablemable July 21, 2009 at 6:32 pm - Reply

Me neither, I LIVE for Wednesdays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!