Stinger, 1955 – Vintage Cocktail Friday

Posted on Jan 20 2017 - 4:12am by RetroRuth

It’s Friday and we are ready for a drink!

This is Stinger!

5.0 from 1 reviews
Stinger

• 1 oz Crème De Menthe
  • 2 oz of Brandy
  1. Stir or shake with crushed ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Use Whiskey in place of brandy to make a Ringer!

This is an extra easy drink from Corby’s Party Book, because we were in no mood to make our lives too difficult! Two quick measures and a shake with ice and we were done.

“How is it?”

“Not bad.”

The Verdict: Brandy With Mint In It

From The Tasting Notes –

Surprisingly, this wasn’t too minty or too sweet. It was very drinkable and pretty balanced. Very appropriate for the winter season, as it just tasted like slightly mint flavored brandy. Would have been a good drink for the holidays!

1. Susan January 20, 2017 at 8:11 am - Reply

What were the “games” like listed on the back cover? I am envisioning Aunt Betty, Midge, Hap, and Uncle Bill engaging in something like two handed postman??!!!

2. Minya, Warrior Seamstress January 20, 2017 at 1:48 pm - Reply

Do you take submissions for vintage cocktails?

3. Lassie January 20, 2017 at 10:48 pm - Reply

I’ve had Stingers made with white creme de menthe. If you use rum and white creme de menthe, it’s called a Picador,

4. Marty January 22, 2017 at 2:28 am - Reply

That looks like such a fun book to have! And what a gorgeous green drink. So glad Tom hasn’t had to “take one for the team” in a while.

I like seeing the daiquiri recipe. My parents used to host cocktail parties in the ’60s — Dad made the daiquiris and Mom made the rumaki.

5. Pamela H Lappin January 25, 2017 at 8:55 pm - Reply

I remember stingers as the drink of choice in 1957’s “Kiss Them For Me” a very forgettable Cary Grant movie with a very memorable Jayne Mansfield.

When I first saw the movie on TV back in the 1970s I looked up the recipe for the drink and thinking Yeech!