Avocado Lime Pie, 1966 – The First Annual Pieathalon!

Posted on Jun 30 2014 - 3:40am by RetroRuth

It’s time for pie!! And not just any pie! This week I am lucky (meh?) enough to be participating in the First Annual Pieathalon, which is basically just a bunch of bloggers who got together and decided we were going to swap vintage pie recipes. Mostly to torture each other, but I think some people were nice and submitted good recipes. Not me, of course, but some people.

Anyway, this is Avocado Lime Pie!

A “big” thanks to my good friend Erica from Retro Recipe Attempts for submitting this beauty. I especially like how this is even garnished with avocados!

front

page-15

Avocado Lime Pie

• 1 sieved avocado
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 tsp grated lime rind
  • ½ cup lime juice
  • 2 lightly beaten egg yolks (* I used pasteurized eggs in the shell!)
  • 1 baked 9-inch pastry
  • avocado for garnish
  1. Force avocado through a sieve to make one cup pulp.
  2. Combine condensed milk, rind, lime juice, sweetened condensed milk and beaten egg yolks and salt and stir until mixture thickens. Fold in avocado.
  3. Turn into baked pastry shell and refrigerate for several hours. Garnish with balls cut from avocado with French ball cutter.

Of course, I got the one with avocado in it. I mean, I couldn’t get the strawberry one. Or butterscotch. Nope. Avocado.

Sigh.

Anyway, if you are an eagle-eyed reader, you will notice that this is basically a recipe for key lime pie, but with regular lime juice and no graham cracker crust.

And then a mashed avocado randomly thrown in there. Why?

Avocado. That’s why.

But I am happy to say I gave as well as I got. S.S. from A Book of Cookrye got my submission, which was an upside down chicken pie that looked like vomit. So I guess I am pretty happy. I mean it’s not really that bad, right? It can’t possibly be as disgusting as some stuff we’ve made in the past for these challenges…

I mean…Yeah. I…forgot what I was talking about.

Sieving an avocado? It’s gross and it’s hard work. I would much rather mash it.

I have one word for this:

Glorp.

Check out my “garnish”. I couldn’t find my melon baller (This message is for my Dad: Where did you put my melon baller when you were here last?!? I appreciate when you do the dishes and I love you, but you put clean dishes away in the craziest places!)

So I ended up using my decorative butter scoop. And it turns out that it makes lovely little avocado beetles. Truly adorable. Especially when they start turning brown. Very lifelike.

“What is on this thing?”

“Avocado beetle.”

“Really?”

“No, not really.”

IMG_7386 IMG_7390

“Limey.”

The Verdict: Tastes Like Lime

From The Tasting Notes:

It’s Lime Pie. And not a good one. This wasn’t gross, it was just a flavorless lime pie. It wasn’t very tart, like you expect a lime pie to be, but it didn’t taste like avocado either. It also wasn’t very sweet. Or smooth. Even though I sieved my butt off, the avocados were still a little chunky. If you want to make this, I would recommend making the filling in a blender or a food processor to make it smooth.

In a side note that has nothing to do with this recipe, the is the LAST time I am buying a premade frozen pie crust. It was really disgusting.

I hope you enjoyed my Pieathalon Pie!!! Please be sure to check out all the other great (and not so great) pies that are being made by the other bloggers!

9a1j3

Brian of Caker Cooking – Chess Pie

Mimi of The Retro WW Experiment – Nesselrode Pie

Erica of Retro Recipe Attempts – Curried Egg Pie

Jenny of Silver Screen Suppers –Mile-High Lemon Chiffon Pie

S.S. of A Book of Cookrye — Upside Down Chicken Pie

Sarah of Directionally Challenged Cooking –Simone’s Pet Strawberry Pie

Kelli of Kelli’s Kitchen –Butterscotch Pie

Ashley of A Pinch of Vintage –Schoolteacher Pie

Poppy of Granny Pantries –Black Bottom Pie

Carrie of Ginger Lemon Girl –Chocolate “Pie”

Emily of Dinner is Served 1972 –Seafoam Cantaloupe Pie

1. Ashley June 30, 2014 at 7:54 am - Reply

Sieving avocado? Not fun. I think I got lucky in the Pieathalon since my recipe was actually delicious – what are the chances? At least you made the avocado pie look as good as possible! I think the little beetles are kind of cute!

2. Erica Retrochef June 30, 2014 at 8:20 am - Reply

Oh wow, sieving the avocado… and avocado beetles! Love it. Too bad the flavor didn’t live up to expectations — I want my key lime pies to have a nice citrus punch!

3. Caker Cooking June 30, 2014 at 9:11 am - Reply

I think the beetles look more like fat caterpillars. Or slugs. This recipe just goes to show – just because two ingredients are the same colour doesn’t mean they belong together.

4. JJ June 30, 2014 at 9:29 am - Reply

Awesome. I have had avocado soft serve ice cream at Coney Island, and it was interesting. Looks like this was less so.

5. Lassie June 30, 2014 at 9:46 am - Reply

That was disappointing. I was actually toying with the idea of making this, last week, as I saw a similar recipe and had all the ingredients. Now, not so much, the avocado will go into a salad and the limes will become limeade.

6. S. S. June 30, 2014 at 10:24 am - Reply

I also thought yours looked like it might be good in an unexpected way. Also, thanks for the “chicken” “pie”! It was a real trip!

7. Kelli's Kitchen June 30, 2014 at 11:05 am - Reply

I think the avocado beetles make the dish! 🙂 I think your husband was very brave – I enjoyed doing the Pieathalon with you!

8. Poppy June 30, 2014 at 12:49 pm - Reply

This one kind of intrigued me too. I love lime, and avocado can be so smooth and creamy. I thought it might be a really cool combination. Even started a Reese’s cup style “Hey, you got lime pie in my avocado!” “No, you got avocado in my lime pie!” commercial in my head, but I guess that won’t work after all…

9. Buzz June 30, 2014 at 1:18 pm - Reply

A bunch of the recipes in that book start with sieving the avocado. It even included a tutorial on how to do it (see page 2). It certainly looked like more trouble than it was worth, but that seems to have been true of the whole recipe.

10. Jenny June 30, 2014 at 2:06 pm - Reply

I thought your avocado beatles (wow, easy typo to make when you are British) I mean beetles were actually pasta shells dyed green. Ahem, I think the Pieathalon is beginning to mess with my brain. It’s been FUN – your fellow Pieathelete xx

11. Yinzerella June 30, 2014 at 3:19 pm - Reply

The avocado beetles have me slow-clapping over here for you.

For some reason I thought that this would have been one of those “it sounds weird but was actually good” recipes.

I thought wrong.

Thanks for joining, doll!

12. Lisa B. June 30, 2014 at 5:54 pm - Reply

I snorted iced tea through my nose—I also had to phone my dad about three months after a visit. “I give up. Where did you hide my colander?”

13. Lisa B. June 30, 2014 at 5:54 pm - Reply

What’s more, he remembered where it was.

14. Kate July 1, 2014 at 1:35 pm - Reply

The avocado beetles make the whole dish! The pie recipe promoted heavily at this time of year by the Calif Avocado Commission uses lemon juice instead of lime and a graham cracker crust, mashes the avocado, and omits the eggs. I’ve been meaning to try it for years but somehow never get around to it.

15. Mimi July 1, 2014 at 10:22 pm - Reply

And just like that, I am done with Avocados. LOL! Great work as always! I was really hoping Tom would get to eat a yummy pie. Oh well. Next time.

16. Greengolda December 12, 2014 at 1:29 am - Reply

Hi! I am a huge fan of everything history and food, so when these things combine.. I’m obsessed! I love the writing and the pictures! I also wanted to that avocado has been terribly abused in the 50’s when it was introduced in Britain and America .. They just didn’t know how to eat it, or what is was.. Hence the sweet recipes! It is awful.. I saw this delightfully 50’s commercial from England about the introduction of the avocado, and they said it is “delicious” with custard! How we’ve evolved!

17. GG February 12, 2015 at 9:21 pm - Reply

I might try the pie sans the beetles. I can’t even look at those beetles. I hope the melon baller turns up soon.