Gingered Pear and Chicken Salad, 1954 – Best-Loved Chicken and Turkey Recipes of 24 Good Cooks

Posted on Apr 7 2014 - 4:01am by RetroRuth

1. dkzody April 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm - Reply

I remember these kinds of salads being served at wedding and baby showers in the 60s.

2. Julie Whitmore April 8, 2014 at 7:51 pm - Reply

What prompts someone to name their newborn “Leavenworth”?

3. Kristina April 12, 2014 at 12:56 am - Reply

My computer lagged for a second while scrolling down, causing the following train of thought:

“Gingered pear and chicken salad? That actually sounds delic- OH GOD IT’S A GELATIN. DAMN YOU MIDCENTURY!”

4. Kim Campbell April 19, 2014 at 11:23 am - Reply

And Cream of Celery soup? I am almost tempted to make one of these and take it to work for one of our birthday food days.

5. Jason August 26, 2014 at 2:05 pm - Reply

Ok… so I made this last night. A co-worker turned 60 today so we were looking for recipes from the year she was born… and I just couldn’t resist this one. It actually turned out looking great. Taste-wise, though, no so great. A few of us were adventurous enough to try it… let’s just say no one went back for seconds. 🙂

• RetroRuth August 31, 2014 at 2:02 pm - Reply

Ha! Gross! 🙂

6. Cara June 6, 2016 at 8:35 pm - Reply

Lime jello, okay, Ginger ale, okay, lime juice, okay, pears, okay….but then it lost me at the addition of eggs and chicken soup The lime jello and pears look pretty good actually but not with that chicken pate or whatever it’s supposed to be. Gross.