Swanson Chicken Spread, 1956 – Mid-Century Shopping Cart

Posted on Dec 17 2013 - 5:12am by RetroRuth

Swansons Chicken Spread001 BH&G Dec 1956

From Better Homes & Gardens, December 1956

1. Dan December 17, 2013 at 8:16 am - Reply

If your eye passed over this photograph quickly you might, at first glance, think it was sushi. Then, upon closer examination, you would see the Wonder bread, the chicken paste, the olive-with-pimento slices . . . and you would know you were back in Mid-century America with sushi but a distant dream.

As for those black lucite serving tools, they look like formidable weapons, indeed. $1.00 in 1956 is, according to the CPI calculator, equivalent to $8.59 today, which, with only one label required from your chicken paste, still seems like a bargain.

2. Amorette December 17, 2013 at 5:20 pm - Reply

Oddly enough, I remember liking Deviled Ham and thinking the chicken spread was disgusting.

3. Jenny December 18, 2013 at 5:38 am - Reply

Is it wrong to wish we could get Swanson Chicken Spread here in England? I really want to make some of these! Happy Christmas to you and yours – Jenny from Silver Screen Suppers xx

4. mary June 30, 2016 at 2:03 pm - Reply

I wish I could find this chicken spread again. It was so delicious. I wish swanson would reconsider and bring it back

5. mary December 24, 2016 at 12:13 pm - Reply

I too wish Swanson’s would reconsider to bring it back