Tuna ‘N Waffles – 1954

Posted on Nov 11 2013 - 5:05am by RetroRuth

Shortcakes and Pies BHG Aug 1954001

From Campbell’s Ad in Better Homes & Gardens, 1954

1. Lassie November 11, 2013 at 9:39 am - Reply

And there are those damned olives again. I’m beginning to get angry whenever I see some retro-mess with olives, 9 out of 10 times there are olives. Why? It’s like they were some major food group, decades ago.

• Jodi March 26, 2014 at 2:31 pm - Reply

Food fad… in a half century our grandkids are going to be wondering why we have a decade of putting either Acai or salted caramel in everything.

2. Susie November 11, 2013 at 1:01 pm - Reply

I wish you could see my face right now – I call it “stunned barf face”

3. Kim Campbell November 11, 2013 at 10:04 pm - Reply

Noooooooooooo! I thought I was going to see Tom eat this!!! Dang it! 🙁

4. Mary L November 12, 2013 at 12:22 am - Reply

Waffles – ruined. Tuna – ruined. Cream of Mushroom soup – ruined. 3 strikes and you’re out. (Forget the olives. I hate olives.)

• Charlotte November 23, 2013 at 12:46 pm - Reply

In some strange way, I’m even more disgusted about the sprig of parsley. It’s the ultimate “screw you” to the poor waffle.

• Karen April 4, 2014 at 10:17 am - Reply

That’s exactly what I thought! I think the whole thing is just too disgusting to really look at. But the parsley. Well somehow that just seems wrong.

5. Cindi November 20, 2013 at 8:39 pm - Reply

I grew-up in the 60’s and 70’s. My mom often made Tuna on Toast for dinner (when my dad was not home). It was a can of tuna mixed in a roux and served over toast. I really wasn’t too bad

Cindi

6. Molly December 10, 2013 at 7:56 pm - Reply

Cindi you and I must be the same age—my mom made that as part of our regular rotation. It was really a treat for us though because she usually made biscuits. She did the roux like your mom but then also added the cream of mushroom soup. Toast was reserved for nights when she must have been to tired to bake. Never those olives though, thank goodness she did not cook with them. Blech!

7. Peggy Crandall-Sebastianelli February 7, 2014 at 1:13 am - Reply

Im 45. Mommy did this on toasted wonderbread with campbells cream of mushroom soup and tuna. It was cheap and quick and these were staples in her pantry.
    Dad and I didnt hate it. We knew it was a quickie meal. It was a hand me down from her mother. Wasnt half bad. I was surprised that she left out the green olives.

8. Jodi March 26, 2014 at 2:28 pm - Reply

This is why I believe that, like Scottish food, most mid 20th century midwestern food was mostly based on a series of dares.
    This really belongs in Lileks gallery of unfortunate food. I’m going to send him a link

9. Jeni Broaddus October 7, 2014 at 5:30 am - Reply

My husband keeps begging for waffles. Think I'll make him this. (I hate waffles)