Chocolate Halloween Pumpkins
Author: Betty Crocker Holiday Parade, 1965
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 t baking powder
- ½ t salt
- 1` t almond flavoring
- ½ cup shortening
- ¾ cup milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan. Mix dry ingredients in large mixer bowl; blend in shortening, flavoring, milk, egg yolks and chocolate. Beat 3 mins on medium speed or 450 vigorous strokes. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 65 to 70 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 mins in pan, then turn out on rack and cool completely.
- For Pumpkins:
- Prepare batter for chocolate loaf cake except pour batter into 24 paper-lined muffing cups ½ full. Bake at 400 degrees for 18 to 20 mins.
- Blend ⅔ cup soft margarine and 6 cups sifted powdered sugar. Stir in 3 t vanilla and about 6 T cream until smooth. Tint with food coloring to color orange.
- Cut small slice of cupcake from top to level. Invert cupcake on fork and frost to resemble a pumpkin. Use wooden pick to score sides and a small piece of green gumdrop for the stem. Makes 2 dozen