Benedictine Cocktail, 1943 – Vintage Cocktail Friday

Posted on Oct 18 2013 - 5:29am by RetroRuth

Happy Friday! This week we have another cocktail with Benedictine in it, AND another cocktail from the 1943 edition of The Joy of Cooking.

We can’t help it. The cocktails in this book are really interesting!

Benedictine Cocktail

• 1 part benedictine
  • 2 parts cognac
  • 1 part lime juice
  1. Combine and drink!

Some of Tom’s favorite things all together.

“Interesting.”

“Is it good?”

“The lime is too strong, which is too bad because I think without it it would be really good.”

The Verdict: Meh.

From The Tasting Notes:

The lime in the drink is too overpowering. It would be much better if it was just straight cognac and Benedictine.

1. Lassie October 18, 2013 at 10:37 am - Reply

I haven’t had a B&B (without lime) in decades! I should just pry open my wallet and buy some ingredients. Summer is over, gin and tonic is over, B&B is a cocktail for a chilly autumn afternoon, late in the day. There’s something deep and dark and entrancing about it….

2. Susie October 18, 2013 at 1:32 pm - Reply

I feel very uncool that I do not know what Benedictine is. Fab cocktail photos again lady!

3. Dan October 18, 2013 at 8:53 pm - Reply

I think I would enjoy this more without the Benedictine and the lime.

4. Mary L October 18, 2013 at 10:53 pm - Reply

Great hat!

5. tam francis October 19, 2013 at 12:41 am - Reply

AWESOME! Not perfect for my Mad Men Cocktail Parties, but PERFECT for my WWII novel! I cannot believe this is in the Joy of Cooking! You’re the best!Thanks for the hot tip!

6. Patrick M. October 21, 2013 at 10:49 am - Reply

I love B&B and I can’t imagine ruining it with lime. Blech!