Jelke’s Good Luck Whipped Dressing, 1939 – Mid-Century Shopping Cart

Posted on Sep 17 2013 - 6:32am by RetroRuth

Good Luck Salad Dressing001

From Taste Treats In Salads, 1939

1. Amorette September 17, 2013 at 4:47 pm - Reply

Is this a fake mayonnaise like Miracle Whip? Or more like fluffer-nutter.

• RetroRuth September 17, 2013 at 8:38 pm - Reply

Like Miracle Whip, I think. At least, that is what the recipes in the pamphlet seem to indicate!

2. flurrious September 17, 2013 at 9:39 pm - Reply

I am somewhat bothered that “moisture” is listed as an ingredient.

• Patrick M. September 18, 2013 at 12:33 pm - Reply

Gee, thanks, flurrious. Now I’m bothered too!

• Dan September 18, 2013 at 2:41 pm - Reply

It would make a truthful advertising slogan. “Jelke’s Good Luck Whipped Dressing: it’s filled with moisture!”

3. Sara September 18, 2013 at 2:25 pm - Reply

Turns out that Jelke also made Good Luck Margarine. It’s an appealing mixture of cream, beef fat and pork fat! Here’s a link to their cookbook –

4. Dan September 18, 2013 at 2:34 pm - Reply

Miracle Whip. Blech! My father loved it, and it was all my mother used, including in recipes calling for mayonnaise. It wasn’t until I was in college that I started to experience actual mayonnaise, something akin to enlightenment. Some years after that I first tasted real, homemade mayonnaise, and that was an epiphany. Then years later I was in England, and there were packets of something called “salad cream” on the table of a restaurant. I thought I’d give it a go on my salad, and, behold, it was Miracle Whip (or at least the UK version). Blech.

5. Betsy September 18, 2013 at 8:06 pm - Reply

I’m with you on the Miracle Whip, Dan. YUK x a zillion. I’d go without before eating anything made with Miracle Mess.

6. PHILIP J. JELKE November 6, 2013 at 4:20 pm - Reply

It is a recipe similiar as todays miracle whip… rumor has it the recipe was stolen