Bees’ Knees – Vintage Cocktail Friday

Posted on Aug 2 2013 - 6:48am by RetroRuth

Okay, honestly I picked this cocktail because of the name, but Tom picked it because it promised to do what no other cocktail has done for him: Make gin drinkable!

Bees' Knees

• 1 jigger gin
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  1. Shake well with ice; strain into chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with button marigold if desired.

According to the 2-in-1 Recipe Card, this cocktail is an authentic Prohibition cocktail, where the smoothness of honey was used to cut the sting of bathtub gin.

Or, in Tom’s case, any gin.

“This is actually good.”

“Really? So the honey thing works?”

“Yep. Now this is a gin cocktail I like.”

The Verdict: Good

From the Tasting Notes:

The honey actually did cut the “sting” of the gin. Ended up smooth and delicious!

1. Andrea August 2, 2013 at 11:05 am - Reply

Oooh, another one I will have to give a go, with Darren’s love of gin. I like that it was an authentic prohibition cocktail, too!

2. Sara In AZ August 2, 2013 at 1:17 pm - Reply

Soooooooooo need this today…..looks really good….it’s been one of those weeks! eeks!!!

3. Amy August 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm - Reply

nice! I actually quite like Gin so I’ll be trying this one.

4. David August 2, 2013 at 5:43 pm - Reply

“Here, have a drink”.

“Mmm… GIN! This drink is the bee’s knees!”

“Speaking of, mine are getting weak. I’d better go while there’s still color in my face, and lunch in my stomach”.

• David August 2, 2013 at 8:57 pm - Reply

In other words, I’ll quote Kim Campbell:

“I hate gin… shiver.”

5. fifi August 2, 2013 at 5:43 pm - Reply

This sounds great! I love gin. I like honey. I love lemon. And the button marigold makes it perfect!

6. Kim Campbell August 2, 2013 at 7:55 pm - Reply

Well, I may have to try this one. I hate gin :shiver:

7. Natalie August 4, 2013 at 3:01 pm - Reply

Mmmmmmm. This is one of my favorite drinks. We make this a lot with friends. I’m glad you both enjoyed it. I think I want one right now….

8. Hannah August 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm - Reply

This cocktail is super good, a local prohibition style bar makes this one and a couple others from that era…one of my favorites