Singapore Sling – Vintage Cocktail Friday

Posted on Jul 26 2013 - 6:21am by RetroRuth

Hooray for Friday! And hooray for another mid-century cocktail!

Singapore Sling

• 1½ jiggers gin
  • ½ jigger cherry brandy
  • 2 tsp lime juice
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Club Soda
  1. Combine and shake well with ice. Pour over ice cubes into a 14 ounce highball glass. Fill with soda and garnish with lime slice or spent lime half.

Tom needed a cocktail break this week. It was a rough week. Why? Well, how about I answer a question with a question:

Is it wrong to gulp down a cocktail while holding a fussy baby who refuses to go to sleep?

Well, if anyone can coolly pull it off, it’s Tom.

See, you barely even notice the baby.

“How is it?”

“It tastes like gin.”

“Well, there is gin in it.”

“Here, take this baby.”

“No. You got the cocktail, you have to put her to bed.”

“Son of a…”

The Verdict: Tastes Like Gin

From the Tasting Notes:

Good citrus notes in the drink, and good if you like gin. Tom isn’t a big gin fan, so he thought this was just okay. He thought it was disappointing and not as “sling-y” as he would have liked.

1. Cristina July 26, 2013 at 6:43 am - Reply

Aww poor baby!!! Lol. Too bad the recipe wasn’t a hit unless you like gin.

2. Dan July 26, 2013 at 8:57 am - Reply

” . . . gin was mother’s milk to her. Besides he poured so much down his own throat, he knew the good of it.” Eliza Doolittle, “My Fair Lady”

3. Jason July 26, 2013 at 10:32 am - Reply

There are umpteen Singapore Sling recipes, and I’ve tried most of them. Here’s the best one. It won’t taste like gin and it will be a lot “slingier.” It’s a bit more involved and requires a bit more capital outlay, but try it again with this recipe and I guarantee you it will be one of your favorites!

2 oz gin
    2 oz pineapple juice (unsweetened)
    3/4 oz line juice (always use fresh squeezed)
    3/4 oz Cherry Heering (a unique brand of cherry brandy and well worth the additional cost)
    1/4 oz Cointreau
    1/4 oz Benedictine
    1/4 oz grenadine
    Dash of Angostura bitters
    Club soda

Mix all the ingredients except the club soda in a shaker with ice. Strain into a highball glass mostly full of ice. Top with club soda (about 1-1 1/2 oz). Do not stir. Garnish with a maraschino cherry (I highly recommend the Tillen Farms brand – indescribably better than the standard supermarket cherries. You can get them from Amazon, or sometimes Whole Foods.)

Don’t give up on the Sling! This is one of the top 3 or 4 cocktails of all time.

4. Jason July 26, 2013 at 10:35 am - Reply

Also, that should be lime juice. I wouldn’t use line juice. Whatever that is.

5. Sara In AZ July 26, 2013 at 12:26 pm - Reply

Hee! I recognize that swizzle stick! 🙂

6. Kim Campbell July 26, 2013 at 1:52 pm - Reply

Poor Baby, poor Tom, poor mommy! However, I love the whole post.

7. David July 26, 2013 at 4:49 pm - Reply

Aw, cute photos of Dad and baby.

As for the drink, the thought of gin makes me quiver, in not such a good way (blame that on a bad first-time ever drinking experience when I was younger).

But cute pics!

8. Andrea July 26, 2013 at 6:24 pm - Reply

Hmmm … I am definitely going to have to give this one a go, Darren is a big Gin fan. And just keep in mind that she will go to sleep EVENTUALLY. Keep this in mind as you gulp down the cocktail, LOL

9. Jenee Libby July 26, 2013 at 7:35 pm - Reply

Nice. I bet Hendricks or Tanqueray would make this more sling-ey. Both have citrus notes….

10. Tipsykit July 26, 2013 at 9:23 pm - Reply

I really don’t enjoy babies (cats are more my speed) but I must say that is a pretty gosh darned cute baby, even if she is fussy!

11. Lauren Bradley July 31, 2013 at 1:10 pm - Reply

If you are ever in New York City, you should come to Otto’s Shrunken Head and try the Singapore Sling there. It’s delicious plus it comes in an awesome Fu Manchu tiki glass that you can keep.

12. Brie July 31, 2013 at 9:31 pm - Reply

Hey! I haven’t been on here for awhile apparently because you had a baby?? I had two actually…twins!