Moscow Mule – Vintage Cocktail Friday

Posted on Jul 19 2013 - 6:16am by RetroRuth

This week we have a no-brainer cocktail that we knew was going to be good from the very beginning. How did we know this? Because it contained one of our favorite beverages: Ginger Beer!

5.0 from 1 reviews
Moscow Mule

• 1 jigger vodka
  • 2 tsp lime juice
  • Ginger beer
  1. Pour vodka and lime juice into a 10 ounce highball glass. And ice and stir. Fill up with ginger beer.

And not just any ginger beer. This Moscow Mule is made with Cock ‘n Bull Ginger Beer, which is mid-century itself since they started making it in 1946! And I totally understand while it is still around, It is very, very good.

“Is that a Moscow Mule?”

“Yes. I was just finishing it up for the blog and – “

“Gimmie. I had a rough day.”

Tom’s day significantly improved by a good drink!

The Verdict: Very Good!

From the Tasting Notes:

If you can find it, use Cock ‘n Bull ginger beer in these. It is by far the best. We served this in a glass, but according to 2-in-1 International Mixed Drinks the traditional vessel for the Moscow Mule is a copper mug!

1. David July 19, 2013 at 8:47 am - Reply

Cock ‘n Bull Ginger Beer ROCKS. This drink sounds freakin’ awesome.

• RetroRuth July 19, 2013 at 1:57 pm - Reply

You must make it! This weekend! 🙂

• David July 20, 2013 at 5:13 pm - Reply

I made it and just tried the first sip… AWESOME! I have a new favorite drink. I DID have a hard time finding the ginger beer, but I found Goya ginger beer instead and guess what? It’s even better than Cock ‘n Bull in my opinion! It’s stronger and has a great cayenne kick.

2. Jessica July 19, 2013 at 8:58 am - Reply

That second picture of Tom made me bust up. I needed that. Thanks.

• RetroRuth July 19, 2013 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Ha! No prob. 🙂

3. Octowaffle July 19, 2013 at 9:35 am - Reply

So glad you did this one it’s my all time favorite cocktail. Its a yummy but not too girly. Traditionally these are served in gorgeous copper mugs. I totally got a couple on the cheap last year, worth a look on ebay, for those who want the full moscow mule experience

4. Yinzerella July 19, 2013 at 9:40 am - Reply

There’s always money in the banana stand.

5. momofnine July 19, 2013 at 11:57 am - Reply

I just stumbled across your blog and I love it. It’s refreshing and interesting. So fun! Thank you.

6. veg-o-matic July 22, 2013 at 11:56 am - Reply

That second picture of Tom is the Best. Picture. Ever.

7. Amorette July 23, 2013 at 4:04 pm - Reply

According to a history of mixed drinks I have, the copper mug came about because the bartender who first invented it had a girlfriend who owned a gift shop that was overstocked on copper mugs. Viola.