July Kraker, 1940 – Vintage Cocktail Friday

Posted on Jul 5 2013 - 6:21am by RetroRuth

Happy late Fourth of July, everyone! This week we have a themed cocktail from a book called The Merry Mixer that was published in 1940.

Here is July Kraker!

5.0 from 1 reviews
July Kraker

• 1 dash grenadine
  • ½ Lemon juice
  • ⅔ whiskey
  • ⅓ creme de cacao
  • Dry Champagne
  1. Shake well with cracked ice.
  2. Strain into highball glass.
  3. Fill up with dry champagne.

Now, this one is a little crazy.  I think Tom mostly picked it out because of the name, but right from the beginning I had my doubts. Lemon, grenadine and crème de cacao?

Ooooooookay.

But, this being Mid-Century Menu, we forged ahead! The finished drink actually smelled quite good, which raised our hopes slightly.

Tom TastingIMG_2326

Only to have them dashed again.

“Yuck.”

“Yeah, that’s what I thought you would say.”

The Verdict: Harsh

From the Tasting Notes:

Didn’t come together quite right. I did not enjoy the fruit flavors of the grenadine and lemon with the crème de cacao. It actually had a nice aroma, but it just wasn’t very good.

1. anonymous July 5, 2013 at 11:15 am - Reply

Chocolate and lemon don’t belong together, and I don’t like chocolate and orange either. Thanks for trying for us, though!

2. Lacey July 5, 2013 at 12:11 pm - Reply

What a strange combination of flavors. Maybe if it was a raspberry syrup (in the place of grenadine) and the lemon was left out, it would work better. Oh well, they can’t all be winners like last week!

3. veg-o-matic July 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm - Reply

Wow, that is some epic Tomface™!

The recipe sounds so awful that I wonder if the publishers accidentally mixed the contents of two different drinks here.

4. David July 5, 2013 at 2:08 pm - Reply

That sounds absolutely horrible! Makes me wonder if the author was just making up recipes as they went along.

5. Libby July 5, 2013 at 4:33 pm - Reply

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! “Tomface” tee hee….thanks for the laugh. Had to work today. This post made it not so bad ;D

6. Lily July 5, 2013 at 5:17 pm - Reply

The last photo! “Epic Tomface™”!

7. Patrick M. July 6, 2013 at 7:06 pm - Reply

Hmmm. Well, Golden Wedding is a Canadian whisky – a blend – rather than bourbon whiskey (which is generally much more “flavorful”). Still, the crème de cacao seems like a questionable addition at best. But you know how they LOVED the sweet stuff back then…