Jellied Avocado Ring with Strawberries and Honey Cream Salad Dressing – A Vintage Gelatin Test

Posted on Jul 24 2013 - 6:14am by RetroRuth

Let’s just get right down to it.

I apologize for doing a horrible job on this gelatin.

I’m sorry, I’m sorry.

I am so, so, so sorry.

This has GOT to be the absolute worst plating of all time. I don’t know what I was going for here, but “edible” doesn’t seem to be it. Good lord, that’s an UGLY gelatin. What can I say? I was tired, my gelatin mold listed to one side in the fridge, I tried to drizzle the sauce over the top and…well…this is how it ended up.  I tried to pretty it up with some strawberries, but I think I just made it worse.

And the honey cream dressing looks like…well…it looks bad. Let’s say it just looks bad and we will leave it at that.

My sincere apologies to Elise, who submitted this recipe almost a year ago for our Gelatin Contest. Elise writes:

Hi Ruth & Tom!

My latest cookbook find is The General Foods Cookbook, a fabulous tome with menus for every occasion. And no recipe is offered on its lonesome, they’re all part of some incredible menu. I offer a few of the best ones that made my stomach flip. I’m not a fan of jell-o. The texture makes me… shudder. So I appreciate you taking the opportunity, sacrificing yourself for your readers’ enjoyment. Good luck!

Jellied Avocado Ring with Strawberries and Honey Cream Salad Dressing
This is for 4 servings--the recipe handily offers measurements for 20 servings as well, if you're so inclined! It's to serve a few friends from the Garden Club, "on a beautiful midsummer day, when your garden's at its blazing best."
  • 1 package lemon-flavored gelatin
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 c hot water
  • ¾ c cold water
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 very ripe avocado, peeled, pitted & mashed
  • 3 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 pint fresh strawberries
  1. Dissolve gelatin and salt in hot water. Add cold water. Chill until slightly thickened.
  2. Pour lemon juice over avocado [ETA that I'd do this as soon as you've cubed it]. Stir mayonnaise and avocado into gelatin, blending well.
  3. Pour into a 3-cup ring mold. Chill until firm.
  4. For dressing (I halved it, as suggested, for the smaller amount of avocado mold): Combine well: ¼ c heavy cream, 1 tbsp honey, ¼ tsp lemon juice and 1c mayonnaise.
  5. Slice strawberries. Unmold avocado ring and fill center with berries. Serve with dressing.

Not that I have dirty diapers on the brain or anything, but doesn’t this look like a dirty diaper?

This one even more so.

And now…slightly less. But still, not good.

I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I know this is a family blog, but that “honey cream dressing” is just…I can’t. I can’t stand it. It is worse than the sauce on the liver gelatin.

Okay…not so bad in single serving form. Whew. Okay…composure…aaaaand the taste test.

Tom TasteIMG_0118

“How is it?”

“Odd. The lemon flavor is really strong.”

“Is it bad?”

“No, not really. It is sweet. It doesn’t taste bad on its own, but it tastes a lot better with the strawberries.”

The Verdict: Good With Strawberries

From the Tasting Notes:

Despite its horrible appearance, it didn’t actually taste that bad. Maybe if it would have been in a better mold it wouldn’t have looked so bad. It was sweet and tasted good with strawberries. Would be interesting to serve at a mid-century potluck or dinner party!

I love everything retro, vintage, mid-century, kitsch and all things atomic! A 21st century housewife just trying to fit the 50's. I have a passion for vintage recipes and an enormous vintage cookbook collection that I keep testing, even though by now I should know better. Creator of Mid-Century Menu (, No Pattern Required (, and I Ate The 80's (

1. Beth July 24, 2013 at 8:39 am - Reply

OMG. Glad I haven’t had breakfast yet. That man really loves you.

2. Cristina July 24, 2013 at 10:31 am - Reply does look kinda gross. Tom is so brave!! I probably wouldn’t have even tasted it!

3. veg-o-matic July 24, 2013 at 12:07 pm - Reply

You’re right–the honey cream dressing does look like. Actually, that was my very first thought, so I’m glad I’m not the only one thinking that.

It’s time for a new Best of Tom scrapbook. I suggest that first picture.

4. David July 24, 2013 at 12:33 pm - Reply

• David July 24, 2013 at 6:05 pm - Reply

Sorry my reply was a bit blunt! It’s good to know this recipe ain’t half-bad with strawberries!

• David July 24, 2013 at 6:06 pm - Reply

P.S. The first picture of Tom kills me!

5. Elise July 24, 2013 at 2:28 pm - Reply

Ah, you’re all so brave! Glad this got made, especially since the taste isn’t too bad at all! It’s just the dang sauce that’s rather stomach-churning when plated.

6. Tipsykit July 25, 2013 at 12:57 am - Reply

If you have terrible eyesight (like me) and look at this from a few feet away without glasses on, it actually doesn’t look too bad…the mint green and red colors are very pretty when slightly blurred, you can’t tell it is uneven, and the sauce looks much less horrifying. I think if the Jello was lime flavored and didn’t contain mayo, it would be more delicious. And perhaps rethink that sauce too haha!

7. Amanda July 25, 2013 at 1:45 am - Reply

Plating aside, it still looks eww. I’m not a huge avocado fan and this recipe certainly does not improve my impression of it.

8. Silvercat July 25, 2013 at 12:12 pm - Reply

I’m LOLing at my desk. That sauce does just like really bad.

9. Kibo July 26, 2013 at 9:22 am - Reply

Diaprous maximus… with gravy!

10. Sharon April 25, 2015 at 6:47 pm - Reply

My mother-in-law used to make one very similar. I liked it.

Her recipe:

1 pkg lime jello
    1 cup boiling water
    1 9 oz can grated pineapple (drain and save juice)
    1/2 Tsp salt
    2 Tbsp lemon juice
    1 cup mayo
    3/4 cup (whipped) cream
    1 avacado cut in small pieces

Dissolve jello in boiling water. Add pineapple with juice
    while still hot. Cool (not set) and add salt and lemon juice.
    When it begins to thicken add mayo and whipped cream and avacado
    pieces. Pour in a ring and chill until set.

Grapefruit segment
    Small avacado pieces

In center of the ring place grapefruit segments and some avacado
    pieces that have been marinated in sweet-sour dressing. The dressing Peg used was her Celery Seed Dressing.