Barbara or Russian Bear – Thank Goodness It’s Vintage Cocktail Friday

Posted on Jun 28 2013 - 6:00am by RetroRuth

So, because Tom eats so many horrible, horrible things for this blog, I decided that it was time for the blog to give something back to Tom.

I introduce to you: Vintage Cocktail Fridays! Sounds fun, huh?

I am sure by now you see the catch. Vintage cocktails. Some good, some bad. But most with alcohol, so Tom will be happy.

This week we are mixing out of a fun recipe card collection called the 2 In 1 International Recipe Card Collection: Mixed Drinks and Hors D’oeuvre from 1977. This is a recent score off of eBay, and I LOVE it!

IMG_2035

These week I decided to take it easy on Tom, so we decided on the Barbara or Russian Bear cocktail.

Barbara or Russian Bear

• 1 jigger vodka
  • ½ jigger creme de cacao
  • ½ jigger heavy cream
  1. Shake well with ice and strain into chilled cocktail glass

IMG_2030

IMG_2036

He is excited about Vintage Cocktail Friday!

Tom TastingIMG_2048

“Wait! Don’t drink it all at once!”

“Leave me alone! I earned this!”

The Verdict: Delicious

From the Tasting Notes:

Basically grown-up chocolate milk. Definitely alcoholic, tastes a lot like a frozen drink. Good!

1. Kriz June 28, 2013 at 8:18 am - Reply

Nice. And how vintage is it?

Vintage enough that’s right here in my 1935 Old Mr. Boston Official Bar-Tenders Guide.

Salut!

2. Yinzerella June 28, 2013 at 8:31 am - Reply

I love the 2-1 set. It is a joy. Good addition to the collection!

3. Lacey June 28, 2013 at 12:42 pm - Reply

GREAT idea! This one sounds delicious, but how funny is it to name a cocktail just “Barbara”? haha.

4. David June 28, 2013 at 4:27 pm - Reply

It’s a party! I love creme de cacao and that Barbara Russian Bear looks and sounds good.

5. Sara In AZ June 28, 2013 at 5:30 pm - Reply

Whoa….looks awesome! I think I need one of these tonight!!!

6. Lisa B. June 28, 2013 at 8:20 pm - Reply

First time I’ve seen Tom smile with his teeth.
    😀

7. Jenee Libby June 28, 2013 at 9:17 pm - Reply

My husband and I are HOWLING with laughter at your husband’s expression. Priceless! And damn right girl, he’s earned it LOLOL The Hubby wants to add that he’s a very good sport 🙂 Cheers!

8. Noir June 29, 2013 at 1:31 am - Reply

I love this idea! I can’t wait to see what drinks you find to try out.

9. anonymous June 29, 2013 at 9:28 pm - Reply

Isn’t this called a White Russian? I’ve put back a few of them in my lifetime!

Vintage cocktails will stand the test of time. I would rather have a Sidecar, a Highball, or a Gin and Tonic than some of the nauseating messes served at “Hey, I’m 21 years old today, woooot (hurl) woooot (hurl)!

10. veg-o-matic July 3, 2013 at 11:38 am - Reply

Oh, I’m liking this new feature! What you need to do is have a bunch of Vintage Cocktail Fridays all on the same day. The photographs would be priceless!

11. Charlotte July 6, 2013 at 7:08 pm - Reply

This is priceless!

Whats the Hors D’oeuvre that goes with it?

12. LR July 14, 2013 at 9:16 pm - Reply

Do you happen to know where Tom got that shirt? I’d love to get it as a gift for someone!

• RetroRuth July 16, 2013 at 6:38 pm - Reply

Hi LR! I actually made that shirt for Tom and had it printed out on one of those shirt printing sites. Sorry!