Chilled Lobster Souffle With Sherry Aspic – 1967

Posted on Apr 19 2013 - 6:37am by RetroRuth

1. celia April 19, 2013 at 9:12 pm - Reply

What IS it about sherry? I have the I Hate To Cook Book and sherry is a heavy hitter. Main dishes and dessert.

• Lassie April 20, 2013 at 9:33 pm - Reply

Have you ever tasted sherry? It’s not just wine, it has a unique nutty taste. Just a touch elevates many recipes from OK to sublime.

This recipe sounds expensive, labor-intensive, time consuming, and antiquated. If I can save up a few bucks for 40 or 50 ounces of lobster meat and carve out a whole day with nothing else to attend to….I am SO making this!!!

2. Patrick M. April 22, 2013 at 12:13 pm - Reply

So US supermarkets circa 1967 were chock full o’ frozen rock lobster tails?

3. celia April 22, 2013 at 9:44 pm - Reply

No I have never tried it, I don’t drink much at all. Maybe once every four months, usually less. I am pondering picking some up. My go to is bourbon.

4. yinzerella April 25, 2013 at 10:40 am - Reply

Do you think I could do this with crab meat? I REALLY want to make this dish.

• RetroRuth April 25, 2013 at 9:00 pm - Reply

Do it!!!! I think the sherry aspic would be good no matter if it is crab or lobster.

5. David April 29, 2013 at 7:02 pm - Reply

I just made this recipe “my way”… First, I sauteed the lobster tails in salted butter, lemon juice, Italian parsley and a little white wine. In the sauce I added white pepper, ground thyme, and a dash of Old Bay Seasoning. I substituted Campbell’s Beef Consomme in the sherry aspic. I found the sherry aspic to be a little out of place (but the flavor and texture was still interesting). All in all this was tasty, fun to make, and became part of a great conversation in “retro food” at the dining table. Next time I will make this strictly by the directions and compare.