Frankfurter Loaf – 1967

Posted on Feb 8 2013 - 6:43am by RetroRuth

1. Jenée Libby February 8, 2013 at 5:06 pm - Reply

I’m proud as HECK to say this was created the year I was born. Definitely a correlation of AWESOMENESS there somewhere. Hallelujah! ;)

2. Martha K. February 9, 2013 at 12:35 am - Reply

The ultimate corn -dog!

• fifi February 11, 2013 at 8:53 pm - Reply

Oh my, how terrifying. Please make this.

3. The Naptown Nosher February 11, 2013 at 10:40 am - Reply

Oh, man. I would so eat that.

4. Juti February 12, 2013 at 8:51 pm - Reply

Okay, I fell for this one. We just finished having a Frankfurter Loaf for supper. I’ve got some recipe notes, in case anyone else wants to give it a try.

The hot dogs float when you put them in the batter, then as they cook they sink toward the bottom of the pan. I’m not sure if a thicker cornbread batter would have helped to avoid the expanse of plain cornbread across the top of the loaf, but it might.

If you use a loaf pan such as the one recommended in the recipe, bake your loaf a little bit longer. Mine was “damp” in spots, mostly down by the hot dogs.

I’m thinking of trying it again, this time using a larger dish. You’d want to be sure to remember which way your hot dogs are arranged, so that when you slice the bread you’d get those nice cross sections. Perhaps you could mark one edge with a pimento bit.

I served it with a nice cold black-eyed pea salad, and barbecue sauce. My husband pronounced our supper “cool!” but shuddered in horror when I mentioned the mushroom gravy.

• Cristina February 13, 2013 at 9:49 am - Reply

Sounds good, thanks for letting us know! I might have to try this!

• RetroRuth February 13, 2013 at 6:13 pm - Reply

Nice! Did you take a picture? Thank you so much for all of the notes. :)

• Juti February 13, 2013 at 6:48 pm - Reply

I can… please let me know how to send it and I’ll be happy to do so.

I’ve also got a recipe book from 1967 that is full of um, goodies, and would be happy to share them with you. I bought it out of a sense of disbelief that anyone would think that canned tamale casserole was a good idea.

5. yinzerella February 13, 2013 at 12:41 pm - Reply

WANT.

6. sara March 15, 2013 at 8:45 pm - Reply

my grandmother would actually make this in “muffin” style. no weird dipping sauce,ust ketchup and mustard. love love love it!

7. Geosomin May 24, 2013 at 10:08 am - Reply

My grandma used to make this without any sauce. It was yummy. I make mini versions of it still with my twinkie pan…

8. Roni July 14, 2013 at 6:32 pm - Reply

I wonder if flouring the hot dogs, as you would fruit, would keep them from rising or, sinking?

• RetroRuth July 16, 2013 at 6:38 pm - Reply

Maybe! It would be worth a try!