The Twinkie Wiener Sandwich – A Retro Movie Recipe Test

Posted on Jan 2 2013 - 12:58pm by RetroRuth

I think that we can all agree that Tom puts up with a lot for this blog. Just this year alone he’s had to eat a lot of horrible gelatin, a liver pate where the secret ingredient was canned green beans and a sub with canned spaghetti on it. Plus, he’s had to put up with me all year. To say that he has earned a “treat” would be an understatement.

So, this week we are going slightly out of our normal time period and flashing forward to 1989 and the Weird Al movie UHF so that we can make a dream of Tom’s come true.

This is the UHF Twinkie Wiener Sandwich:

Twinkie Wiener Sandwich

And here is our version:

As you can see, the Twinkie Wiener Sandwich consists of a Twinkie cut down the middle and then stuffed with a hot dog. Then the hot dog is covered with squeezy cheese. Crazy? Yep, pretty much.

In a side note, these always bring to mind those bizarre Krispy Kreme burgers, do you remember those? I think they still serve them at State Fairs.

Anyway, Tom has always wanted to make a Twinkie Wiener Sandwich, and with the recent and very public demise of Twinkies there was no better time to do it than right now.  So, when our Twinkie hoard started getting low, we decided that New Year’s Eve was the perfect time for Tom to make his disgusting treat.

There is no real recipe for this one, just a clip from the movie UHF. As a bonus, check out their vintage sink and appliances in their kitchen!

Yep, we’ve even got the mug of milk for dipping!

Tom’s moment of glory: Adding the cheese.

Or maybe this was the moment of glory? Dipping the sandwich in milk.

Either way, I think we all knew it would end this way:

Ew.

The Verdict: Not good, but not horrible

From The Tasting Notes:

It tasted like a painfully sweet hot dog. A bit of corn dog flavor to it. The milk just made the Twinkie really soggy. Not as horrible as I imagined it would be, but not good either. You couldn’t really taste the squeezy cheese.

Hope everyone had a great New Year’s that was NOT filled with Twinkies and cheese!

1. MakingSpace January 2, 2013 at 1:09 pm - Reply

This is HYSTERICAL!!!!! I’ve been reading you regularly in my Google Reader for months, and I enjoy each and every post (Tom’s face makes everything worthwhile, haha). But for this one I actually had to click over and tell you how funny it was. Go Tom!

Thanks for the laughs and the yummy stuff too. Love your site. Happy Vintage New Year!

• RetroRuth January 8, 2013 at 9:08 am - Reply

Thanks! :)

2. disneypal January 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm - Reply

I love the movie UHF – I saw it when it came out in theaters because I love Weird Al. I am glad you had a hoarded Twinkie to test this out with – LOL !! Very interesting and I must say that Tom has a very brave stomach (and I think it is funny that he actually wanted to test this one himself!)

I LOVE the kitty clock you have on the wall. I’ve been thinking about getting one myself. Too cute !

• RetroRuth January 8, 2013 at 9:07 am - Reply

We LOVE that clock. We got it as a gift and have enjoyed every moment with it!

3. Buzz January 2, 2013 at 6:53 pm - Reply

I love UHF, but I hate literally every ingredient in that dish. That scene practically turns my stomach.

• RetroRuth January 8, 2013 at 9:07 am - Reply

I have to turn my face away when he dunks it into the questionable milk, so I know what you mean.

4. Susie January 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm - Reply

HOLY CHRIST! I love your site but this one put me OVER THE edge! I Love that movie! I love Twinkies! I love wieners (hee heE) and I LOVE SPRAY CHEESE. I would make my own but my hoarded stash of twinkies are already covered in mold. LAST FOREVER my ear. AHHHH best post ever, shared on the FB too!

• RetroRuth January 8, 2013 at 9:06 am - Reply

Thanks, Susie!

I know what you mean about the Twinkies. When I noticed they were going south I popped as many as I could into the freezer and the rest I gave to my brother, who is apparently going to watch them mold. Ew!

5. Sara In AZ January 5, 2013 at 5:53 pm - Reply

OMG….Tom ate cheese from a CAN?!? I do believe the world is about to come to an end! :)

• RetroRuth January 8, 2013 at 9:03 am - Reply

I know, right? I feel like it should be the last part of the Mayan prophecy…

6. Jenny (VintageSugarcube) January 6, 2013 at 11:33 pm - Reply

How was I in my prime in the 80s and never saw that movie or heard of that dogwich? Well better late than never. Haha!! Adore you and your blog. Wishing you cute love birds a very, very happy new year and a healthy and happy 2013. Muah. :)

• RetroRuth January 8, 2013 at 9:01 am - Reply

Ha ha! Yep, you have to watch it soon so you can say you fully experienced the 80′s. :)

Happy New Year to you too, Jenny!

7. Karlor February 12, 2013 at 7:17 pm - Reply

I Love IT!!!! I loved the movie UHF, and have always wanted to try the “twinkie wiener sandwich”!!
    thank you for making it! Very cool!

• RetroRuth February 13, 2013 at 6:14 pm - Reply

Glad you liked it!! It was fun!

8. KC February 28, 2013 at 8:59 pm - Reply

I… have eaten the twinkie wiener sandwich. It was many years ago, and I believe that I forwent the dipping it in milk, but I remember thinking that it was pretty danged good. Not good enough to ever make one again, mind you, but good.

9. Octowaffle July 15, 2013 at 8:55 am - Reply

OMG I thought we were the only ones. My brothers boyfriend is a huge Weird Al fan and always dreamed of making these so we did it for his birthday last year. Most of us did the Tom face, but a few people actually ate more than one. So awful LOL!

• RetroRuth July 16, 2013 at 6:39 pm - Reply