Tuna Casserole With Potato Chips – 1960

Posted on Sep 17 2012 - 6:40am by RetroRuth

1. Heather September 17, 2012 at 1:36 pm - Reply

I’ve always made mine with cream of mushroom soup. Sounds good though. I definitely have to try it with the asparagus soup.

2. Perdita September 18, 2012 at 4:12 am - Reply

I would totally use the alternative soup… celery soup just overwhelms EVERYTHING. Yuk. I can never figure out why people loved it so much in recipes when veg soup worked just as well.

3. Stacia September 21, 2012 at 4:30 pm - Reply

I had a roommate in college who kept her tuna casserole in the refrigerator so long it grew a fur coat! I begged her to keep her memories in her diary – not in the frig!

4. bun March 11, 2013 at 4:07 pm - Reply

Oh gosh, I thought this cassarole was something my mom had just left the noodles out of. Her version had 3 ingredients: potato chips, tuna and mushroom soup. Maybe the veggies would have helped. The grease from the chips always gave me indigestion.

• RetroRuth March 12, 2013 at 2:51 pm - Reply

I can totally imagine. So many potato chips…

5. Art March 26, 2014 at 3:44 pm - Reply

When someone showed me your delightful blog, my first reaction was, “Where’s the tuna casserole with potato chips?” Now I need to see string beans with mushroom soup covered with canned onion rings! Keep up the good work.

6. JULIE WARREN January 10, 2015 at 12:46 pm - Reply

Our “go to” recipie was. Tuna, canned pe
    as, crushed potato chips, Miracle Whip, topped with sliced American or Velveeta Cheese…..Yum!

7. Michael September 10, 2016 at 10:50 am - Reply

Funny! I am a bit of a foodie and an excellent cook. But, at least once a year (usually winter), I make this and have been making it for some 40 years. I use cream of mushroom soup, tuna , cooked egg noodles and a small can of Vegall…mix it up, sprinkle the chips on the top and bake. I have a “fancy” version where instead of the vegall I add sautéed mushrooms, diced root veggies and peas.
    Kids love this! Fun website

• RetroRuth September 10, 2016 at 11:07 am - Reply

Thanks! Classic tuna casserole is one of Tom’s favorites!