Perfection Salad – 1960

Posted on Jul 27 2012 - 6:18am by RetroRuth

Perfection Salad001

Perfection Salad001

From Today’s Woman Cook Book and Knox Gelatine, approx 1960.

1. Shannon H. July 28, 2012 at 1:46 am - Reply

Hmm, it’s like coleslaw got caught in something. Maybe like a fly in amber? 😉 I think I’d prefer my slaw loose and free.

• RetroRuth July 31, 2012 at 12:28 pm - Reply

Ditto!

2. Garnet July 30, 2012 at 7:37 pm - Reply

It looks like an underwater exhibit at an aquarium! …which isn’t particularly something I’d like to eat.

• RetroRuth July 31, 2012 at 12:29 pm - Reply

That’s almost exactly what I was thinking, except instead of an aquarium I was thinking one of those shots in a horror movie when they show the edge of the water and what is lurking underneath!

3. Zac August 2, 2012 at 11:44 pm - Reply

Unflavored gelatin, shredded cabbage and celery: The Perfect Salad.

4. marjorie zimmerman February 18, 2017 at 11:22 pm - Reply

this is one of the all time greats….served for years at the exclusive Camelback Inn in Scottsdale Arizona….they served chocolate cake made with tomato soup too!

this pic looks rather art deco which is nice. it usually had a finer chop and it really is delicious. i would sub chopped red pepper for the pimento…that wasn’t really available when this recipe was popular. it would fulfill the pimento and green pepper (which i don’t really care for) in one.