The Mid-Century Menu In The Wall Street Journal And New Site Recipe Index

Posted on Feb 23 2012 - 10:06am by RetroRuth

I’ve got two pieces of exciting news!

1.)  I was in The Wall Street Journal today with a mention of The Mid-Century Menu and some pictures of my annual Easter Lamb Cake! I am at the end of the awesome article Playing Kitchen Detective: Home Cooks Try to Recreate Family Recipes. My annual quest for the perfect lamb cake is mentioned at the end of the article, but I have several awesome pictures in there, including:

My vintage lamb cake pan from my grandmother!

The article really turned out fantastic, and there are some great tips in there for people who are looking to replicate family dishes that have been lost to time or tragedy.

Grandma 008

A dinner party for friends given by my grandparents. My grandmother is the one on the left in the back.

Does your family have a vintage recipe that you are looking to recreate?? Let me know!

2.) The second great bit of news is that my tested recipe index is finally (almost) done!

Tested Recipe Index

Whew!!! The recipe index includes every recipe tested on the blog except for a couple of very early ones which still need to be linked up! That is recipes all the way back to 2009. Wow. You can now navigate the recipes three ways:

All recipes in chronological order,

The Best  and The Worst tested recipes,

And by Category (Appetizers & Beverages, Desserts, Main Dishes, Hello Jell-O and Sides and Salads!

So grab a cup of coffee or a glass of Ovaltine and take a look at all the recipes! Oh, and seeing Tom’s face at the end of each one is always great. I think I am going to have to make a gallery of just Tom’s expressions…

1. DrJulieAnn aka The Modern Retro Woman February 23, 2012 at 12:29 pm - Reply

Yay! You deserve the mention!

• RetroRuth February 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm - Reply

Thanks, DrJulieAnn!!! That is so sweet!

2. tammuchi February 23, 2012 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Read the WSJ article and found your blog. It is just AWESOME, and I’ve had loads of fun reading it and looking at the pictures. And I must make those Quick Brownies pronto! Keep up the good work!

• RetroRuth February 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm - Reply

Thanks so much, and welcome to the blog! I am so glad you like it. :)

3. Kim Campbell February 23, 2012 at 8:23 pm - Reply

I would love to see a slide-show of Toms expressions!

• RetroRuth February 24, 2012 at 12:06 pm - Reply

Well, then I just might have to work on that one. :p

4. Tami February 24, 2012 at 10:23 pm - Reply

Ah…memories…that lamb cake pan reminds me of the butter mold my grandmother used to use at Easter-time. Yep, we had lamb shaped butter at our Easter Feast. I wonder what ever happened to that?

Congrats on the WSJ mention – I need to go find that article and check it out.

5. Sara In AZ February 25, 2012 at 9:47 am - Reply

YAY!!! For the Wall Street Journal, you totally deserve it girl! :)

And look at you indexing ALL of those recipes, amazing!!!

• Sophia February 26, 2012 at 12:39 am - Reply

I read about your lamb cake mold in the WSJ too. Congratulations! Here is a tip to keep your cake upright: when you remove the cake from the mold, slice the browned top off, frost between the cakes and insert toothpicks halfway into one of the sides to help hold them together. My mom taught me that. Good luck with your lamb….brings back memories of my childhood:)

6. Marilyn Travis February 27, 2012 at 3:01 pm - Reply

Congrats on the WSJ article. This article really encouraged me to consider other ingredients to make my Finnish grandmothers PULLA bread which turns out different so many times that I make it. (i.e. buttermilk and not dry milk) – I always cannot wait to see Toms expressions. Love your website. (We live in a retro 1949 house which looks pretty much the same as when they built it – the windows still have pullies – ugh and that door that you liked the other day is our front door – you make me love my home just the way it is)

7. SusieQT February 27, 2012 at 3:48 pm - Reply

I have been trying to re-create my grandmother’s watermelon rind pickles. I chronicled my attempt here: http://practiceintime.blogspot.com/2011/07/make-it-from-scratch-monday-pickled.html

The taste was right but the texture wasn’t, so this summer I’ll be doing it all over again!

8. Glenda In Colorado March 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm - Reply

You are my new role model! My husband is not as open to new experiences as yours, so mostly I just collect weird recipes. Greatly enjoying reading through your archives. Reading all the “worst” recipes first!

• RetroRuth March 23, 2012 at 9:03 am - Reply