Pie Oh My! Five Mid-Century Pie Recipes For Your Thanksgiving Feast

Posted on Nov 23 2011 - 6:02am by RetroRuth

Oh boy, oh boy! My favorite part of Thanksgiving is almost here! The PIE!

Pies

Recipes 2

And what better pie to serve at Thanksgiving than old school, classic mid-century pies.

Pies 2

Recipes

Wow. This pie will really…keep you regular.

Anyway, all these great pie recipes came from the November 1953 issue of Woman’s Home Companion.

Pies

Pies 2

And I want to try every single one of them, especially this Cranberry pie. I don’t think I’ve ever had Cranberry pie before!

Pies

Pies 2

Yum! Too bad I don’t have about 20 or 30 more people coming for Thanksgiving dinner. I would love to try them all, but I don’t want to put poor Tom in a sugar coma.

Pies 2

Pies 2

Come on! Processed American Cheese turkeys! These are awesome!

God, I can’t wait for pie.

Oh, and if you want to check out three complete mid-century Thanksgiving menus, head on over to No Pattern Required today! You can choose from turkey, chicken or duck!

1. Sara In AZ November 23, 2011 at 12:34 pm - Reply

I LOVE that pumpkin pie with turkeys on it!!!! All the pies look super good though. I’m with you, bring on the pie!!! 🙂

2. Toni November 23, 2011 at 1:05 pm - Reply

I was reading vintage pie recipes yesterday (inspired by a slate.com article on pie at thanksgiving). My plan is to make vinegar pie this winter. I’m making a Texas cobbler tonight to bring to Thanksgiving, but I’m doing Christmas dinner, so I’m thinking of makin a vintage Christmas.

3. BlueRoc85 November 23, 2011 at 8:07 pm - Reply

I just made an apple and a pumpkin pie today. The apple pie recipe I used comes from the 1970’s publishing of the Betty Crocker Cookbook. I wish I would have seen this post sooner, I would have loved to try this cinnamon candy version! The pumpkin pie recipe I used has the same ingedients as the one above minus the water and cheese turkeys (although I think those are cute), but with the addition of 1 tablespoon molasses. I think the molasses really brings out the spices in the pie. I MUST try that walnut pie sometime! Its just me and the hubby for dinner tomorrow so I will have to wait until I have more company to make it. Thanks for sharing these!

• RetroRuth November 28, 2011 at 3:45 pm - Reply

Glad you liked them, BlueRoc85!

4. Kim Campbell November 25, 2011 at 12:24 pm - Reply

PLEASE make the Apricot-Prune-Cream cheese pie! PLEEEEASE! I want to see Tom try it…

• RetroRuth November 28, 2011 at 3:44 pm - Reply

Ha ha! Wow..how can I refuse a plea like that??

We will add it to our list!