And The Worst Mid-Century Recipe Winner Is…

Posted on Aug 25 2010 - 7:03am by RetroRuth

JELLIED TONGUES!!

Congrats on great win, Kelly!  It was a tough road picking the winner.  Even tougher than the slices of jellied tongue.

Uhhh…that picture still makes me a little queasy.

Now, once again for your viewing pleasure, here is Tom tasting the winning dish!

Contemplating.

Bravely trying.

Chewing.

Approving? Crazy!

You know, it’s kind of strange that the dish Tom actually gave a thumbs-up to turned out to be the most visually unappetizing.  But I couldn’t choke it down, so there you go.

Oh, if you are curious, the Worst Recipe in Tom’s opinion was the Creamed Eggs in a Corned Beef Crust from Sharon.

For me it was the Tongue.  All the way.

In case you didn’t see it, the Jellied Tongues was mentioned in the Phoenix NewTimes Eater’s Digest Blog.  It was apparently the most digusting recipe they have seen in a while. Score.

Congrats again, Kelly, and thanks to everyone who entered our fun contest!  Over the next few weeks we will be featuring other contest entries that were hilariously weird but weren’t in the Top 4.  So Andrea, Gabrielle, Cassie and Melanie, you had better stay tuned! 🙂

1. Sara in AZ August 25, 2010 at 9:55 am - Reply

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Congrats Kelly! Now you will have another piece of Pyrex you can show off to your Mom! 🙂

2. Sharon August 25, 2010 at 10:17 am - Reply

I had a feeling that the tongue would prevail! Yipppee, Kelly!

3. Miss Marwood August 25, 2010 at 11:06 am - Reply

Congratulations, Kelly!! Well deserved!!
    And thanks Ruth, that was a fantastic competition. I had been so sure I had the worst recipe … until I saw the other ones!!

I still like tongue, though. In Sherry sauce, with cranberries. 🙂

4. Kelly August 25, 2010 at 11:49 am - Reply

Yay! I AM pretty excited about that Pyrex – and the whole super sweet prize package. 🙂

Thanks for your nice words everyone! I do have to say that I think that the other recipes were pretty foul too! I think that everyone did a great job.

And Ruth, you really went above and beyond to follow through on that tongue recipe. I’m not sure I’ll ever get the vision out of my mind of you driving home with it in your floorboard – or that photo of you swigging from that glass after trying to eat it.

That said, I’m dying to figure out Tom’s superhuman taste buds. Are there any common foods that completely gross him out? Lima beans? Beets? Hamburger Helper? Does he have a gag reflex at all? 😀

5. Annie B. August 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm - Reply

Yes, indeed, Kelly, can’t see how anything could beat jellied tongue as the worst of Mid Century Menu. Congrats to you for scraping the bottom of the barrel and coming up a winner!

Ruth, you are one brave woman even to attempt choking that alien-looking thing down. “Variety Meats”: the gussied up name for something the dog should bury in the back yard. This has been the greatest fun! Many thanks!!!

6. Andrea August 25, 2010 at 3:12 pm - Reply

Ahhh, I knew the tongue would win! Nothing like bringing out the “variety meats” to truly disgust people! Tom was brave to try the tongue, however Ruth, you were far braver to even handle that thing to cook it!